Thread: Only in safe mode

Only in safe mode

I actually posted a thread about a this a while ago but it has made its way far enough down the list that I don't think its being seen very often or by the members who may be able to help me........

I use windows xp, and for some reason I cannot access the options of the control panel (or My Computer) unless I am in safe mode. I went into my registry and went to the 'NoControPanel' key but there was not a Reg_Dword value for it. So I created one and assigned it (0) to disable the restrictions. Still no good. Maybe I didn't define the function of it correctly (I don't have alot of experience with the windows registry and am reluctant to play around in there too much).

Maybe that was not the issue and it is something else......I don't know - So I have used up more of my time (and the readers) with typing this thread again. I put high priority on the maintenence of my system and attempt to keep my system clean and running properly.
    (I know many of you won't believe this since I already admitted to running windows - - but I am looking into linux) - anyway this is very important to me to get this issue sorted out and I would really appreciate any help and advice offered.........

Thanks again to all respondents..............

if you login using a different user can you get into the control panel??
    [gloworange]find / -name \"*your_base*\" -exec chown us:us {} \\;[/gloworange] [glowpurple]Trust No One[/glowpurple][shadow] Use Hardened Gentoo [/shadow]
    CATAPULTAM HABEO. NISI PECUNIAM OMNEM MIHI DABIS, AD CAPUT TUUM SAXUM IMMANE MITTAM

Nope

No, I can't get into it from another account either.........My account is defined as an administrators account, but the control panel and my computer can't be accessed without safe mode...........

so just to double check and make sure there is 100% clarity --

administrator - normal mode: no control panel
    your user - normal mode: no control panel

administrator - safe mode: yes control panel
    your user - safe mode: yes control panel

can you get into the control panel in normal mode using start-run-control and/or can you try start-run-control userpasswords2

using either does anything pop up??
    [gloworange]find / -name \"*your_base*\" -exec chown us:us {} \\;[/gloworange] [glowpurple]Trust No One[/glowpurple][shadow] Use Hardened Gentoo [/shadow]
    CATAPULTAM HABEO. NISI PECUNIAM OMNEM MIHI DABIS, AD CAPUT TUUM SAXUM IMMANE MITTAM

I can actually get into the control panel just if I try to use any of the options in it I get a message that windows cannot open the specified path, device or file. I may not have the proper permissions.........

I have been trying to figure this out for about 2 weeks when I'v had the time....
    "In most gardens they make the beds too soft - so that the flowers are always asleep" - Tiger Lily

One of the things I would try is the restore function and restore it to a time before the system prevented you from using the options in the control panel.