Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: problem installing Windows...

problem installing Windows...

greetings all...

here is the story...

i was running Windows 2000 Pro... my computer was doing ok, except popups and popups and a slightly slow performance when i was using the internet... so i decided to use some antivirus / antispyware sw...

i ve downloaded lavasoft's adaware and beside some tracking cookies nothing serious found ( i guess tracking cookies is not somethin u can call serious )... i also installed mcaffee antivirus, i updated it and i ve tried a scan ... the scan stoped into Visual Studio folder... i did not pay attention then, but if i remember well, it was about an .ini file ( C:\MS visual studio\bla...\bla..\bla...\something.ini ... pc stoped responding, i reset it and when the windows login prompt showed up, an error message showed up also saying that ''something was writing to the memory'' along with address numbers which i really do not understand... i was not able to log into windows and i was not even able to start with safe mode...

anyway, i really needed the pc during weekend so i instantly decided to format and reinstall windows... but during the installation process, these ''damned'' blue screens was appearing all the time with miscellaneous messages : ''UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME'', ''MEMORY_MANAGEMENT'', IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL'', ''CDFS_FILE_SYSTEM'', BAD_POOL_CALLER'' is some that i remember right now...

also the error messages was saying that i should check for HW/SW newly installed ( no HW newly added and supposing that i formatted the drive before this, no new SW also) , that i should stop BIOS memory from caching or shadowing ( which i didnt manage to find it in my BIOS settings )... note that the installation process was having trouble copying the ''drivers.cab'' file...

i didnt spend time to search around the threads in AO for somethin relevant to it... i also did not try google yet, so sorry in advance... i ll try it later today... but untill then, any comments are really welcome...

regards
    Hey Hunter... I assume you have something against wings and for that you kill birds... I also have something against stars but i do not kill skies...

all i can say is do a low level format and try again after repartitioning the drive, this way your absolutely sure there would be nothing bad left on your hdd...

hello...

referring to your reply, i found somewhere this one:

Warning : You should never attempt to do a low-level format on an IDE/ATA or SCSI hard disk. Do not try to use BIOS-based low-level formatting tools on these newer drives. It's unlikely that you will damage anything if you try to do this (since the drive controller is programmed to ignore any such LLF attempts), but at best you will be wasting your time. A modern disk can usually be restored to "like-new" condition by using a zero-fill utility.
    this is the url http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/geom/formatLow-c.html
    Hey Hunter... I assume you have something against wings and for that you kill birds... I also have something against stars but i do not kill skies...

AO French Antique News Whore
    lepricaun, You should NEVER attemp a low level format.

AsCenDinG, those type of error are usually very painfull. Try booting in safe mode and removing your antivirus. If your last OS installation is recent, your best way would be a normal format and a re-installation.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

maybe you take a look at your memory banks. Those errors are so erratic that looks like memory corruption. I use to see this kind of error (disk error, file corruption) when one or more memory banks are damaged. maybe motherboard too, but it is not common like memory problem
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

SDK wrote:
    Those type of error are usually very painfull. Try booting in safe mode and removing your antivirus. If your last OS installation is recent, your best way would be a normal format and a re-installation.
    the bad thing is that all this situation i ve already described is happening after a normal format... but no re-installation unfortunately...

im currently searching around for info about ''zero fill drive'' utilities... hopefully i ll come up with something with this...

thanx anyway guys...

Why not go to the harddrive manufacturer and see if they have diagnostic tools. the tool(s) will probably fix the drive if not and it is still under warranty send it in and get it fixed.

I'm not a big expert on theese things, but something like this happened to me once... and It was not the hard drive, nor the memory... It was the motherboard.
    After I changed it... no problem.
    I guess a connection must have gone loose or something. That doesn't mean it stopped functioning at all, just with errors like yours. I even had restarts when I was in BIOS...
    Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.

C1BRID PMed me to suggest that can be BIOS too. Perhaps bios malfunction? what about take notes of current config and do a clear-cmos?
    As Ashadow notices, it can be MB too.
    But it cant be easy to detect just talking.
    You should to do troubleshooting...
    replace one item at time and test it.
    I suggest (if you have more than one memory bank or spare banks) to try first with memory.
    Remove/replace one by time and see if it get stable.
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

Could possibly be a bios problem, but I'm not to sure.

Could be bad ram, boot.ini screwed up etc etc.

Heres what I recommend doing.

Take everything out of the computer that you don't need.

If you have more than 1 ram chip take one of them out.
    Unplug Floppy,
    if 2 CD-Roms, unplug one

Make it so you have just the bare essentials, then I'd try to delete the partition, then re-create the partition, format it, then see if windows will install on it then.
    =