NAS & iSCSI vs. SAN

Thread: NAS & iSCSI vs. SAN

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar

NAS & iSCSI vs. SAN

Is anyone out there using a NAS or iSCSI storage solution as a low-cost alternative to a SAN? I have heard that some small to medium sized businesses are using these solutions in place of a SAN for things like SQL databases and email storage even though it has been discouraged.

Can anyone tell me if they have any experience in the SAN or NAS or iSCSI department and what you feel are the pros and cons of one solution over another??

Only thing we use is SCSI Tape Drives.

We would like to switch to a SAN, but couldn't really justify the cost of it right now. Perhaps as we expand into more states later, we will consider SAN, but as of right now, no.

I don't really have any experience with any of those to really give a truthful answer to the pros and cons.
    =

AO French Antique News Whore
    My compagy use NAS but we are really not happy with it. Setting NTFS permission on a NAS is a pain in the ass! I didn't directly play with it myself but the guy who did said he would never buy that! He waste I don't know how maybe hour understanding how the everything work!

Edit! Sorry, I wrote SAN but I mean NAS.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

The thing of it is to is that its so expensive, that unless your a pretty good size business wiht lots of data backup/storage needs, you can't really justify the cost of it.
    =