Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NMap 3.55 help

NMap 3.55 help

I downloaded NMap 3.55 command line version from www.insecure.org and unzipped the file. My problem is that when i go to open NMap the command line flashes and i dont seem to be able to get it to stay open.

Forgive me if this is a stupid question.

How did you start nmap? Did you click something, put it in the "run" window, or did you go through the command line? If either of the former, try the latter, that should do it.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    As Angelic has said,
    open the cmd line FIRST.
    to use anything IN the cmd setting, it always goes better to start it there as well.
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

LOL i just went to the insecure.org site and found out what i was doing wrong. I had been clicking the icon. I found out that i am supposed to go to the command line and type

"cd C:\nmap-3.55"
    "C\nmap-3.55\nmap -A -T4 scanme.insecure.org"

SO my problem is solved lol.

thanks angelic

Yeah, I did the same thing when I first tried it. Starting in the command line with such tools is a good rule of thumb to go by.

Also, I'd reccomend TheHorse13's tutorials on Nmap. That's a great starting point if you need to get acquainted with the program.

Yeah, I did the same thing when I first tried it. Starting in the command line with such tools is a good rule of thumb to go by.
    Good thing you aren't an idiot as well. NMap also has a relatively outdate UI for people who don't really understand what they are doing. As AK pointed out TH13 wrote a series of very nice tutorials about NMap. I would recommend learning more basic networking and possibly security material as well so you can understand what is going on, or at least the premiss behind some of the stuff.

-Cheers-

Yeah, meth's right, not to mention you can do some damage to yourself with that toy if you go at it blindly. Heh heh, and actually I am an idiot as well, which is why I'm here in hopes of de-idiotizing myself. But yeah, make sure you have a good understanding of what that little guy can do to you or someone else before you go crazy with it. TH13 is definately the grand master Jedi with that stuff.

Yeah, meth's right, not to mention you can do some damage to yourself with that toy
    Really...

Care to explain?

Oh must I? Don't I embarass myself around here enough as it is?

Ok, well, I was experimenting with if the first time at work one day while reading through TH13's tuts, so I wanted to find a target to scan without ticking anyone off or looking malicious -- So I scanned my home computer from the office. Well, I configured something wrong along the way, and something bounced back as a result of the scan and knocked out our entire Internet connection office-wide (I asked about it a while back right after it happened). So, I had to quickly restart our router and hope no one noticed! That happened TWICE. Yeah, talk about looking like a doofus.

Since then, I haven't touched it, not until I actually know what I'm doing.

Just Another Geek
    If you're on Windows download the 3.50 version. The 3.55 version seems to have a bug that will reboot your system. I noticed this once and today I read this post.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.