Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CA Falling Short?

Question CA Falling Short?

I just wanted to post a quick question as to if any of you are using CA and noticing recent problems. Yesterday our CA eTrust AV missed a number of Trojans that I only found after running TrendMicro's HouseCall. It's rather odd, one would think, that the free scan is catching things the expensive enterprise-wide AV is overlooking (with regular AV updates).

Has anyone had a similar experience with their CA AV failing them as such?

unfortunatelly, CA is not a "premium" brand on AV market.
    Maybe your company can consider to move on to another product.
    A competitive upgrade, perhaps....
    BTW, They support well some products (like TNG, ARCserver) and others not.
    Just a way of life,since they have a ton of products (they use to buy a company per month and now they just have a huge number of products to support...)
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

Yes, I'd love to convince the powers that be to ditch CA altogether, as I'm not impressed with it at all either. However, that's what I'm stuck with. To make things more fun, our support contract has expired, and it's been deemed too expensive to renew, so I'm on my own! Fun!

is that ive told you. Try competitors. They use to do upgrade on "others" products.
    I can recommend Symantec or Mcafee.
    Meu sítio

to be honest Angelic I never had a problem with CA missing viruses - however that was not in a corporate setting. One thing to bear in mind though is that there are many AV solutions which are not terribly good at catching trojans - both Mcafee and Norton come to my mind in this respect. CA have fallen from my favour over the last few months due to them becoming a little too closely associated with MS for my liking - thats more personal rather than any failing in the AV itself.

I would say though in answer to cacosapo comments that CA are not premium brand ... premium brand does not always mean the best either. A prime example... MS... premium brand (at least as far as most average people are concerned) but not necessarily the best (depending on what yardstick you measure them admittedly). We use Mcafee at work and frankly both I, the IT manager and the other IT bods think its a pile of w*nk - but we have it cos the financial director has heard of it and thinks its 'ok' - but it has missed a number of viruses and trojans too.... and yes we are also trying to move to something else

However Angelic if your support contract has expired... does that mean the ability to d/l updates have also expired? That being the case I think you could use that as a basis for persuading the purse strings to open up - lets face it you need to keep you AV up to date...

no support contract = no updates = crappy AV (whoever makes it) = sh*t loads of down time for your company = sh*t loads of lost cash

get my drift?

Z
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

premium term used there as "very good product" not "very good seller", just to clarify.
    Meu sítio

AO French Antique News Whore
    I use CA Etrust Inoculate IT in a coorporate environnemnt and I have to said I'm happy. Their mail option is not very good from my point of view but I never got hit by a virus with CA on. I use their support a lot and it depend who got your from technician at CA.. They got very nice one and they got bad one.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

It's our mail server that these worms/trojans are sneaking through to, as a matter of fact. And actually, so far we are getting updates despite lacking a renewed service contract.

I've heard quite a few complaints about McAfee/Symantec around the AO suburbs as well. From what I've gathered, it seems TrendMicro and AVG are pretty popular among AOers.

premium term used there as "very good product" not "very good seller", just to clarify.
    that being the case I would definitely not include Mcafee.... but we are all entitled to our opinions.... if it works ok for you then thats fine by me

I agree with SDK about the mail options... I have seen better...but their RT protection isn't bad..... in my experience there were a number of times CA caught various nasties with no problem... ones Mcafee missed.

It's our mail server that these worms/trojans are sneaking through to, as a matter of fact. And actually, so far we are getting updates despite lacking a renewed service contract.
    explains a few things then... to be fair though there are a number of AV solutions that fall down at this point. Maybe you want to be thinking about setting up a filter to strip off certain attachments (any similarities in extension for example... zips are notorius for having viruses attached)... IIRC Phishphreek is rather good at this - may want to talk to him about it. Incidentally I think CA give you about 30 days grace before they stop you getting updates
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

yeap, i need to review my point of view.
    For example, ive ht several times thru NAV but never thru Mcafee...(home experience)
    On corporate side, it varies.
    Most companies i work together use Mcafee (but still on 4.5x version) and some is migrating to NAV.
    I had some clients with Inoculate/TrendMicro/AVG, but it was allways a bad experience.
    But You are right, Angelic. It varies from person to person

Since i still use Mcafee (4.5x) i like it. Perhaps its too heavy even for powered machines.
    Meu sítio