Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: regarding online gaming

Unhappy regarding online gaming

hi folks...i'have been trying to play age of empires 2 online...i had burrowed the cd from a friend and installed it on my comp and i play the game regularly in single player and it works fine..when trying to play it at msn zone it says .....COULD NOT DETECT MICROSOFT AGE OF EMPIRES II INSTALLED ON YOUR HARDDRIVE....how do i get around this problem...

P>S-i know this is not exactly the kinda material for Antionline...but i come her ewhen i am at my wits end..any help wuld be appreciated

Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."
    OK, If you borrowed the CD from your friend, then you did not pay for it.
    This makes your copy a pirated copy.

Why did you post this question here?
    Above ground, vertical, and exchanging gasses.
    Now you see me | Now you don't
    "Relax, Bender; It was just a dream. There's no such thing as two." ~ Fry
    sometimes my computer goes down on me

Custom User
    11001001 it does not make his copy a pirated copy. As long as it is not installed on both his and his friend's PCs at the same time it's not a pirated copy. A license isn't given for a certain person, it's given for a certain number of PCs, and since he didn't say that he copied his friend's cd, until we know otherwise, we should assume that he is borrowing the game and has not violated any laws.

ac

I would check the terms of use. If his friend has already registered on MSN gaming zone and he registers on MSN gaming zone (under another account), then to MSN gaming zone would probably think that he has pirated the software because 2 exact cd keys have registered. I am downloading the AOE demo right now so that I can check the Terms of Use for more info.

Edit: this is a trial version so the EULA might be different than the real product. (cant check until I get home)

1. GRANT OF LICENSE. This EULA grants you the following rights:
    · Installation and Use. You may install and use a copy of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT.
    · Reproduction and Distribution. You may reproduce and distribute copies of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT; provided that a) each copy shall be a true and complete copy, including all copyright and trademark notices; b) each copy shall be accompanied by a copy of this EULA; and c) such distribution shall not be for commercial purposes.
    2. DESCRIPTION OF OTHER RIGHTS AND LIMITATIONS.
    · Limitations on Reverse Engineering, Decompilation, and Disassembly. You may not reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the SOFTWARE PRODUCT, except and only to the extent that such activity is expressly permitted by applicable law notwithstanding this limitation.

Separation of Components. The SOFTWARE PRODUCT is licensed as a single product. Its component parts may not be separated for use on more than one computer. · Software Transfer. You may permanently transfer all of your rights under this EULA, provided the recipient agrees to the terms of this EULA.

Termination. Without prejudice to any other rights, Microsoft may terminate this EULA if you fail to comply with the terms and conditions of this EULA. In such event, you must destroy all copies of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT and all of its component parts.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

..what ever happened to my problem..and i haven't made a copy of it..so its not pirated....pls help me solve the problem

do you have it updated? Uninstall it, reinstall it, download the patch from M$'s website and try it again. Install it in the default directory.

Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."
    Originally posted here by gothic_type
    11001001 it does not make his copy a pirated copy. As long as it is not installed on both his and his friend's PCs at the same time it's not a pirated copy. A license isn't given for a certain person, it's given for a certain number of PCs, and since he didn't say that he copied his friend's cd, until we know otherwise, we should assume that he is borrowing the game and has not violated any laws.

ac
    That's not always true. The EULA would state clearly how many copies you can maintain. If it is a single-install license, the software can only be installed on one machine. If it is a single-user license, only one copy of the game can be in use at any time. If they are both using the game at the same time, one of them is in violation of the EULA. (READ: the one with the unpaid-for copy.)

Also, let's think about your statement, "As long as it is not installed on both his and his friend's PCs at the same time it's not a pirated copy." That's pointless. If your going to argue that it's a single-user license, then it doesn't matter how many places it's installed; it only matters how many people are using it at the same time. Only one is allowed.
    This is how companies can get away with lending software to their employees. The assumption is, if the employee is using it at home, they cannot be using it at the office; therefore maintaining the single-user end of the EULA. It is also anticipated that if the employee is separated from the company, they would be forced to uninstall the software the have been lent.

Unless his friend bought the game not to play it, but only because he likes the look of the box on his shelf, jhgrew is in violation of the EULA. Like Jarrod said, if the CD-Key is the verification method used, it would not allow it to be entered twice because....

It's a single-install license.

P.S. Jarrod ~ That license is probably different, as you have to pay for the full game, where the trial version is free. We all know that M$ hates to give things away...

AntiOnline n00b
    hi

Unless his friend bought the game not to play it, but only because he likes the look of the box on his shelf, jhgrew is in violation of the EULA. Like Jarrod said, if the CD-Key is the verification method used, it would not allow it to be entered twice because....

It's a single-install license.
    I used to play it a while ago ....as far as i remember it didn't require a CD key to install ..the verification Method was that the CD should be in the CD ROM for the game to Start. i.e single-user license..(i clould be wrong ....thats as far as i remember.. i used to have the CD i will try to find it don't remember where i put it)....I think that makes it legit ...for someone to borrow it because his friend than would not be able to play it without the Original CD.

i have a question .......when does this message pop up ....after you connectsd to the MSN Zone....or Even before you are connected to the Zone.......Try running the Multiplayer game without Connecting your PC to the Internet....See if the Same Error Message Pops up .

Try Unstalling the Game .....restart your Computer ....Install it again restart your PC .... Then try to connect to MSN Zone

See if this Helps Age of Empires II: How to Troubleshoot Problems in Multiplayer Games

--Good Luck--

Swordfish-
    Yeah, I thought of that too, and found this: http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;243258

But when jhgrew said that he borrowed, and could play it fine in one player mode, I assumed he meant without the CD, which is why I didn;t mention it before.

Custom User
    Did it not ever cross your mind that his friend may have already played it to death and may not be attempting to play it at the same time as him? As far as I am aware, it is an old game (considering I bought it years ago...unless it was another game called age of empires II) which might indicate why his friend lent it to him. Perhaps he has already got enough pleasure from staring at the box and decided that he might as well lend it to someone else. So tell me, did that not ever cross your mind?

I realise that my legal knowledge is slightly more limited than yours, and that I did not get all the details exactly correct in my original post, but what I was attempting to do was defend jhgrew from the paranoia that seems to infect antionline. Without even giving him the benefit of the doubt you simply assumed that he had pirated a copy of the game. You didn't even ask him why his friend had given him it, nor if his friend was still using it at the same time as him. From your first post, it would seem that if I gave one of my friends one of my gamecube games to try out that I would be breaching copywrite.

ac