Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WHOIS regulations?

WHOIS regulations?

I was looking into several sites and perfomed a WHOIS lookup on them. I noticed that many had falsified information listed in their fields, and these sites were registered through an ICANN accredited registrar. As an example a domain was registered to :

Company Name
    Internet
    Cyber, Space 61294 (zip isnt even valid as far as I can tell)

Is this legal???
    If it is not, then how can domains get by with doing this without being terminiated?

country by country, laws are diferent. I can put on my side whatever i want, because ive choosed to turn those information public. If i want to put "Jupiter, zip f0f0f0", i will be allowed.

I.e. Here there is some information that is mandatory and its checked by government.
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

Where can you find which countries require the least amount of info?

Re: WHOIS regulations?

Originally posted here by subnick
    I was looking into several sites and perfomed a WHOIS lookup on them. I noticed that many had falsified information listed in their fields, and these sites were registered through an ICANN accredited registrar. As an example a domain was registered to :

Company Name
    Internet
    Cyber, Space 61294 (zip isnt even valid as far as I can tell)

Is this legal???
    If it is not, then how can domains get by with doing this without being terminiated?
    Its not really legal. ICANN requires you to put in correct information. However who checks? Everyone spams the registry database, so why put in correct information? (For personal domains)
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

If you register a .uk domain, you can opt to have your information hidden if you are an individual. As I recall, you have to display the correct information for .com, .net and .org domains or risk having the domain removed (or so I have been told by OpenSRS when I got rather annoyed about receiving lots of junk mail through the post as a result - I don't mind having my email address there but address and telephone number is asking a bit much). There was a discussion about this in the US Congress a while back I think.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

After some searching, I came across a site that offered anonymous domain registration.

http://www.katzglobal.com/hosting/an...s-domains.html

Has anyone used this service before or see any holes in its implementation?

If you read the FAQ, you'll see that they effectively maintain control of your domain by placing their contact details on it and they also don't give you a control panel to manage the data - plus you have to pay $10 for the priviledge. Looks rather fishy to me...
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

If you're looking for a site that will hide your info from WHOIS lookups, check out registerfly.com. They have a service called "protect fly" it hides your info from WHOIS lookups.

Originally posted here by pwaring
    If you read the FAQ, you'll see that they effectively maintain control of your domain by placing their contact details on it and they also don't give you a control panel to manage the data - plus you have to pay $10 for the priviledge. Looks rather fishy to me...
    Yeah, I'm sure you can one day wake up without your domain. Especially since you don't have your name written anywhere Maybe their ToS has more info on it...

As for the WHOIS, I know a lot of people would use it as a starting point when footprinting. Having an admin name and/or e-mail is a requirement for social engineering and whatnot. So yeah, a lot of people would rather hide that info, but it would be nice to have it done in a legal way.

http://domainsbyproxy.com/
    Companys like this make it rather difficult to find out info on the reqestered owner of the domain.