Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: small footprint antivirus

Thats great if thats what fits for you. Personally, I ENJOY being free of the hassle of jumping through the hoops (manual removal) that some pissy-assed script kiddie has slapped together just to jerk my chain so I run AVG on my system.
    Well, I have that same freedom by:

1. Not going to sites I do not trust and that do not have a user record of use.

2. Not accepting attachments or any sort of file from people I do not trust (notice, not -know- but trust)

3. Not using IE to avoid browser based injected viruses

4. Not downloading pirated/illegal software off of peer to peer networks.

5. Disable services and implimenting a basic firewall to prevent unwanted outside access to ports (blocking worm attempts)

Seriously now, smart browsing will do more for any user than masses of AV will. Seven years, never once had a virus because I thought before I clicked. I -still- don't have an AV installed. Of course this is not for a buisness model, but the parent poster is talking about a personal model, and the one I just described how to follow in the four steps above. If you do all of those steps (and no, they are not difficult and things that should be followed anyways, regardless) then I don't know what could possibly infect you.

Here's another motto that my mentor gave me, that I live by:

"If you don't know exactally what is going in and out of your box, don't you dare assume someone else will do it for you with some 'universal' fix. Learn and help yourself, because you are the first level of protection."

"When the whole World is at peace; a wise man walks with his sword at his side"

Sun Tzu

Sorry, I just could not resist that................Oh...........get some more RAM, it will help.

pooh sun tzu: Those step's would pretty much guarentee little to no viruses on your system, however it's alway's good to be well prepared and to have backup, no?
    Space For Rent.. =]

1. Not going to sites I do not trust and that do not have a user record of use.
    2. Not accepting attachments or any sort of file from people I do not trust (notice, not -know- but trust)
    3. Not using IE to avoid browser based injected viruses
    4. Not downloading pirated/illegal software off of peer to peer networks.
    5. Disable services and implimenting a basic firewall to prevent unwanted outside access to ports (blocking worm attempts)
    1. Trusted zone sites can be infected themselves unknowingly, and a malicous script can be appended to each document.
    2. Make sure scripting is off in your email, and your client is updated and not vulnerable.
    3. All good and fine, but javascript and java can screw you over as well.
    4. yup
    5. Update yer dang software, blackice and norton have showed us that a firewall can be exploited (and yes, hardware too)

I totally agree with pooh when his points are expanded a bit. But I would still use AV because my box can handle it.

Good points guys.

however it's alway's good to be well prepared and to have backup, no?
    No, I don't think so. If I have a seven year track record of having learned to avoid and detect what would have infected me, then it's no different than a hunter using a bow and arrow that he's been using for seven years straight, only to have people tell him to take a shotgun with him 'just in case'.

The man's a hunter lol, let him hunt in the way that works best for him.

Soda makes some good points too. I'd like to argue with one or two of them, but it's just -way- too early for that

The man's a hunter lol, let him hunt in the way that works best for him.
    Pooh, your make an excellent point and your method work's very well. I'd say I don't need A/V software either because I have been smart in my download's, etc etc. However I'd just rather be safe than sorry. I've barely dealt with problems myself and could probably get by w/o A/V software. However it is recommended and I prefer it.

Btw, this is nothing against you pooh I know exactly what you're saying and kinda live by it on my OpenBSD machine
    Space For Rent.. =]