Thats great if thats what fits for you. Personally, I ENJOY being free of the hassle of jumping through the hoops (manual removal) that some pissy-assed script kiddie has slapped together just to jerk my chain so I run AVG on my system.
Well, I have that same freedom by:

1. Not going to sites I do not trust and that do not have a user record of use.

2. Not accepting attachments or any sort of file from people I do not trust (notice, not -know- but trust)

3. Not using IE to avoid browser based injected viruses

4. Not downloading pirated/illegal software off of peer to peer networks.

5. Disable services and implimenting a basic firewall to prevent unwanted outside access to ports (blocking worm attempts)

Seriously now, smart browsing will do more for any user than masses of AV will. Seven years, never once had a virus because I thought before I clicked. I -still- don't have an AV installed. Of course this is not for a buisness model, but the parent poster is talking about a personal model, and the one I just described how to follow in the four steps above. If you do all of those steps (and no, they are not difficult and things that should be followed anyways, regardless) then I don't know what could possibly infect you.

Here's another motto that my mentor gave me, that I live by:

"If you don't know exactally what is going in and out of your box, don't you dare assume someone else will do it for you with some 'universal' fix. Learn and help yourself, because you are the first level of protection."