Thread: Lan and Proxies

Lan and Proxies

Can you use a proxie if you are on LAN?
    [glowpurple]The inside secrets of big buisness are being leaked onto the Net - (who\'s fault is that ) - Me[/glowpurple] http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=419

Yes, depending on what type of proxy and which ports are allowed to connect outside of the network.
    Ben Franklin said it best. \"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"

Cool thanks, I was wondering since I am at school and I am on their LAN, how can they stop me from downloading music. Also if they can what can I do not to get around it, but use something else beside stuff lke Kazaa and MX?
    [glowpurple]The inside secrets of big buisness are being leaked onto the Net - (who\'s fault is that ) - Me[/glowpurple] http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=419

Also if they can what can I do not to get around it, but use something else beside stuff lke Kazaa and MX?
    They can stop you from D/Ling music by blocking the popular ports of p2p apps. Also usually with P2P apps theres a large number of connections to one computer. I would think that one could easily pick out a computer downloading music from a p2p app due to the large voluem of connections.

Its their bandwidth and its up to them to decide what to allow and dis-allow.

If using a program requires you to figure out a way to somehow get around it, then you shouldn't be using that software. lol
    =

Thanx those are really good word of wisdom. Just out of curiousity though would you ba ablr to get around it and download music?

Yes.

There are always users that will try to bypass the procedures that the network admins have in place. Not exactly sure how it works in a school environment, but in the working world, bypassing the procedures in place could lead to your termination as an employee. Its best to wait until you get home before downloading just to be safe.

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    It all depends on the admin of that network. The better tha admin, the harder it is to 'bypass' their policy.... but a word of advice... NEVER bypass your admin. You might endager the entire LAN that way.

Cheers.
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

And highly increase your chances of being expelled/suspended from school.
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

yes you can depending on the compatibilty between the proxy and lan they may block if they corrupt or they jsut may not run at all...