Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: noob help

Question noob help

Hey, I am new and just currently getting into this, now can anyone of you guys tell me what are some good firewalls that are out there? (Free and ones you pay for) I currently have zone alarm (free) and...i dont have too much to say about it, but i heard that norton personal firewall was pretty good. well i think thats pretty much about it, any reply would be great, thx

Oh yea, one more question, whats a honeypot? lol sorry, imma noob

Do a 'AO' forum search and you will find a wealth of information on both your questions.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

thank you for your help

nah, i dont like google that much, i prefer yahoo....:P

Why? Yahoo sucks.

google is your friend, you may not like it, but it has the best search engine Algorithms... grin and bear it
    [gloworange]find / -name \"*your_base*\" -exec chown us:us {} \\;[/gloworange] [glowpurple]Trust No One[/glowpurple][shadow] Use Hardened Gentoo [/shadow]
    CATAPULTAM HABEO. NISI PECUNIAM OMNEM MIHI DABIS, AD CAPUT TUUM SAXUM IMMANE MITTAM

Hoopy Frood

Re: noob help

Originally posted here by s3nate
    Hey, I am new and just currently getting into this, now can anyone of you guys tell me what are some good firewalls that are out there? (Free and ones you pay for)
    I normally would agree with the rest of you and teach him how to look the info up on his own, but it's late and i'm bored.

I've used Zone Alarm a little bit and in my opinion it's crap. It was always causing all sort of trouble for me and I've tried version 3.x and 5.x. Perhaps it's just more secure, but I found it extremely annoying. As of now I use Sygate Personal Firewall and have found it to be just about perfect for what I need. If you don't like ZA you may try it out.

Also, what I understand a honeypot to be is this: When a cracker (no flaming, please ) tried to break in or successfully breaks into a computer s/he can secretly (without his/her knowledge) be "transferred" to a honeypot computer. It is nearly exactly the same as the computer they want/wanted to break into, but they can't do any real harm. They are on a replica, not the important machine that perhaps they want/wanted to foobar. The point is that they can then be traced and caught or at the very least, not do any damage. Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Xierox
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard

The free zone alarms in my experience didnt have that many features like I never found a place where you could set up rules and stuff, however I use on my windows machine and Ive found it to be more that adaquate.

i2c