Thread: Some wierd stuff has been happening lately...

Some wierd stuff has been happening lately...

Hey, lately I've been getting e-mails, 1 from e-bay, and one from paypal, the e-bay one said that my account was suspected of making fake bids, and then gave me a link, and said that if I didn't update my account info within 3 days, my account would be canceled. Then today I got an e-mail confirmation from Paypal for $134.52 gameboy that I didn't purchase, at the bottom was the following message :

If you have not made this payment please click the link bellow, then fill in the correct information to verify your identity.

and then a text link to:
    http://64.4.10.250/cgi-bin/linkrd?_l...dit_card%2ehtm

which asked me to verify credit card information. Well I was highly suspicious of both e-mails because on E-bay there was no record of any bids on items that were out of the ordinary, and no complaints, and similarly on paypal the purchase in question was not in my history.....

Which leads me to think both E-mails were simplying trying to get me to give out my account/credit card info....

However it does have me concerned, and I'm wondering whether or not its possible that someone did actually get my account info....is there any way to check if there are any keyloggers or anything like that installed on my computer?

I ran Norton, and it came up clean...

Thnx,
    TheInvictus

That is a fishing scheme. The site it directs to is a msn IP. Check the IP it came from and if it is a legit company that cares, report it to the abuse contact. since the ip it directs you to belongs to MSN I would report it to them to.

eww $134.52 for a gameboy???

forgot to add somethin useful. umm....i doubt theres anything on your computer? but just get a virus scanner and adware/spyware remover to be on the safeside. They just massmail those phishing schemes out to people, and they prolly viewed and collected your email address of ebay's and paypals site knowin you had an account there to further try and suck you in. If you read most TOS's they will never send you and email or private message asking for credit card numbers. If they do, 99.9% of the time its a scam.

to prevent this in the future i wouldnt make your email all that public, at least one that you wanna keep spam free alot. i have a couple email addresses, i have one at hotmail and yahoo that i give to things like if i have to register and they send me a confirmation link and i know they'll give my email out. Usually when you give ebay or paypal your email its for important stuff and notices, they dont give it out i dont think. You can be extra cool sometimes and type your email like this extracool_at_hotmail_dot_com or somethin of that sort just to keep the bots from collecting your email address.

I would also report it to Ebay and Paypal. Also send them in an attachment, the complete emails you have recieved.

There is also a phishing scam web site you can report them to, but I don't have the url of it.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Invictus,

take a look at this guideline I posted not too long ago:

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...nt+get+phished

Here are the numbers btw:

If you believe that you have provided sensitive financial information about yourself through a phishing scam, you should:

o Immediately contact your financial institution.
    o Contact the three major credit bureaus and request that a fraud alert be placed on your credit report. The credit bureaus and phone numbers are: Equifax, 1-800-525-6285 ; Experian, 1-888-397-3742; and TransUnion, 1-800-680-7289.
    o File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission at http://www.ftc.gov or 1-877-382-4357
    Cheers.

i too have received these emails, and at first thought that somebody had hacked into my account, making changes to personal settings, etc. But Sam Spade cleared up the confusion, showing me that the emails were indeed frauds!

Just my 2 shillings....

WOW that is a lot for a gameboy have you blocked email so you do not get it and have you tryed to actually confirm you reall identity it sounds like it might be bad b/c they want credit card # bad maby if you no how you could trace or check IP and se if it is froud and if so report it...HOPE YOU GET RID OF THAT NAST BILL.... hope i helped