Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to install boot.ini

how to install boot.ini

Dear All,
    i've to hard disk in my computer that can state that i have two partition. now the story is like this, i install win98 in drive c:, and win2000 in drive d:. so i want to uninstall window2000 but since the is no uninstall option so i just delete the partition.

Then when i on my computer it still prompt me to choose whether want to run win98/2000. so i go to win98 and delete a file call boot.ini after that when i start up my computer again it said that there is no win2000. what i understand it sth like reading boot.ini for win2000.
    so i heard linux can read windows partition. so i install red hat 9.0 at my D: partition replace win2000. but i don't where to go to see windows partition. but can i recover my boot.ini from recycle bin by using linux??
    now everytime my computer load it only show linux. it won't show and option for me to choose windows.
    ok since i cannot using linux so i use boot up disk for win98 but cannot find folder name recycle bin.

ok 1. my question how can i recover my boot.ini so i can boot to windows.
    2. how can i make sth like boot.ini so i can choose linux or windows. actually i want to make my windows as a default.
    3. why this problem occur although i had disable cform bios choose hard disk boot to none) hardisk when i install linux.

thank you for your help. sorry if this is lame and plz dont nag me because of my stupidity. and i have to admit it not easy to learn linux. thank you very much.

g'day y2k, this site might be of some help... try google as well for more info.. if this is not of any help let me know.....cheers TidaL.....

if u have dual boot with win98/2000, C: partition is FAT32. So, but DOS from A: and try some that nice tools that recover deleted files.
    OR, if dont have one, just BUT dos from A (WIN98 Emergency DisK) and copy boot.ini from a similar machine (thru a diskette, of course).
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

Just Another Geek

Re: how to install boot.ini

Originally posted here by y2k
    i've to hard disk in my computer that can state that i have two partition. now the story is like this, i install win98 in drive c:, and win2000 in drive d:. so i want to uninstall window2000 but since the is no uninstall option so i just delete the partition.

Then when i on my computer it still prompt me to choose whether want to run win98/2000. so i go to win98 and delete a file call boot.ini after that when i start up my computer again it said that there is no win2000.
    Use your win98 bootdisk or go to http://www.bootdisk.com if you don't have one.
    (Make sure you use the same version as was installed on your system!)

Boot from the floppy. Type the following commands:
    Code:
    fdisk /mbr
    sys c:
    That will nuke the win2k bootloader and restores your "old" win98 boot.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

AntiOnline n00b
    hi

lol i think you got you lesson ......don't just delete OS's like that...........When you deleted the Partation which had Windows 2000 ....it still was in the Master Boot Record .

1. my question how can i recover my boot.ini so i can boot to windows.
    If you have Windows 2000 , you can boot from Windows startup floppy disks or CD-ROM, choose repair option during setup, and run Recovery Console. When you are logged on, you can run FIXMBR command to fix MBR. This is i think windows 2000 alternative to Fdisk

To get your Windows 98 Running on your System just add a line at the end

C:\ ="Windows 98"

2. how can i make sth like boot.ini so i can choose linux or windows. actually i want to make my windows as a default.

1. From Linux, copy the Linux boot sector from /boot to a file using the dd command.
    2. In the below, replace /dev/hda3 with your boot partition's location
      # dd if=/dev/hda3 of=/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1
    3. Copy bootsect.lnx onto a floppy disk.

If mcopy is available, this is easy:

# mcopy /bootsect.lnx a:

If mcopy is not available (e.g. a minimal install of Linux) you'll need to mount the floppy drive and then copy:

# mount /dev/fd0 /mnt
      # cp /bootsect.lnx /mnt
      # umount /mnt
    4. Boot W2K, log in as Administrator and copy bootsect.lnx from your floppy disk onto the root of your C: drive
    5. Edit C:\BOOT.INI and add the following line at the end:

C:\BOOTSECT.LNX="Linux"

Source

3. why this problem occur although i had disable c form bios choose hard disk boot to none) hardisk when i install linux.
    Didn't get this question..........can you refraze what you are trying to say..and disable smilies i belive that smily was not intentional

Any more Questions.......See my University exams are going on and so i have a lot of free time these days...it's just Study and stay in ........No outdoors

Now i think you just want to have windows 98 and get rid linux and windows 2000.....just boot your sustem with the windows 98 disk........From which you had installed windows 98 ........or as SirDice said get a bootable disk ..........but then you will have to make sure it's the same verson as your installation.........if you have the Windoaws CD use that .......otherwise use that http://www.bootdisk.com ,....and the command given by SirDice

--Good Luck--

Re: Re: how to install boot.ini

[i]
    Boot from the floppy. Type the following commands:
    Code:
    fdisk /mbr
    sys c:
    [/B]
    man, that is so obvious that makes me dumb about posting how to recover boot.ini :P

Sometimes we go thru the hard way instead just do the obvious: overwrite boot loader

/slap my face
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

Didn't get this question..........can you refraze what you are trying to say..and disable smilies i belive that smily was not intentional
    what i mean is before i do the installation i go to bios setup and go to standard cmos setup. and at the primary master i choose none while at primary slave i choose user. which mean what i understand is i had disable the primary hard disk so, my intention is just like to take out the hard disk but using simple way. emm hope u understand what i mean.
    btw thank q for all your help. i'll try to work it out.

Boot W2K, log in as Administrator and copy bootsect.lnx from your floppy disk onto the root of your C: drive

ah forget one thing, i already delete my partition for my win2k, so i don't have win2k in my machine anymore. can i do it via win98

AntiOnline n00b
    hi

Yes try it it should work.......

sorry to say. after i fdisk/mbr i type sys c:. give error msg. and i try C:\ ="Windows 98"
    then i restart and now it gave me missing operating system.

godd damn