Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teaching Yourself

I agree with your sentiment, in part at least.

I find that in this disposable age most (not all) people are after the "Quick wins," this is a reflection of current modern day society.

There is a wealth of knowledge out there in the WWW it's just a case of finding the good stuff. As you've suggested Google is a good starting point. The AO forums are full of relevant information, and there is a search facility too!

I would suggest more questions need to start with the word "Why?" Unfortunately a lot of people posting their problems are, understandably, focused on the solution and just don't see that understanding what caused the problem can help to resolve it.

In Summary then:

You are attempting to effect an endemic attribute of today's society.

I think you should add that searching in the AO forums may turn up answers.

We need to encourage the inquisitive nature of people to get them to delve into their problems.

HTH
    Tomorrow is another day for yesterdays work!

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    "Give someone a fish, and you feed them for a day.... teach them to fish, And you feed them for a lifetime..."
    Thats the secret

cheers.
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

Banned
    Nice post,

Can we get a sticky over here???

I think this would make a very good sticky in this forum... Anyone else agree?
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Sure. Why not? Hopefully they will read it.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

If people would actually use their heads before asking a question, they might be able to ask the question properly, or even figure the answer out on their own. I agree that many people want the easy way out and that is either due to being lazy, or not having enough time. In either case to truly learn and answer to a question, you should never take someone's word on it, because what if that person was worng? My father always told me that even though he tells me something to not just take his word for it, but to "dig" for the answer to verify what was said to me. I'll tell you from experience I know this to be true. Take the news media for an example as to why it is important to dig for the truth. I've been able to prove them wrong on many occasions. So I'd have to agree with Simon on "Quick Wins". How hard is it to actually look up something anyway?

Ours is a society where everything is becoming instant and poeple dont have the patients to learn. However ive noticed most AO members usualy give the place to learn the answer and not the answer itself. And that is a good thing. I definatly a gree that learning the solution is better than being given the solution.
    Vote canidate Zero for 2004.

Re: Teaching Yourself

"Give someone a fish, and you feed them for a day.... teach them to fish, And you feed them for a lifetime..."

- I’m not sure
    "Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will eat for the rest of his life."
    -Chinese Proverb
    Now you are sure

Check out www.quoteland.com for more quotes

Technically, he still doesn't know who wrote it, he can still put "I'm not sure" and be 100% correct, because no one knows WHICH ancient chineese philospher came up with it.
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Give a man a match and he will be warm for a while, set him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

[pong]Old Scouse proverb................ [/pong]

[edit]
    you should never take someone's word on it, because what if that person was worng?
    Whilst serving my time as an Electrician............. a spark told me that the wires were safe, and to just pull the Fu**ing things out NOW.

They weren't QUITE dead, I ended up in hospital, not severe, but several rather eye-catching flash burns across the face............ The spark told me after,
    that you should NEVER trust someones word, but ALWAYS test............

HE TOLD ME AFTER...................

And YES a sticky.[/edit]
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone