Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Proper Usage of GCC

Post The Proper Usage of GCC

The question has arisen elsewhere, so this is my possibly lame attempt to pitch in and hopefully lead to some clarification of somewhat foggy issues.

The General Chit Chat (GCC) has been evolving quite a bit as of late -- some would say for the worse perhaps -- but I think there's a lack of understanding about what this segment of AO is for. I'm no authority, but I'll suggest to you what I think it is.

GCC is meant to add a dynamic to the AO community. All in all, I see it as serving two main purposes:

1) To provide a miscellaneous forum for those who have questions that don't fit the mold of the other topical forums. For example, video games, industry developments, and other technology but not necessarily security-related topics.

2) To improve the overall interactivity of the AO community. Much of AO is built on professional relationships and trust, which is what, I think, sets AO apart from other forums. Go check out the other security- and technology-related forums. You'll get questions answered, but you'll never network together the kind of contacts you can potentially make here. In the security world, it's also important that you trust who you're taking advice from. You don't get that level of interactivity without "getting to know" other members, and you don't get to know them without first just chit-chatting with them. So again, here we have GCC. Get to know your fellow AOers so you can network professional contacts here more effectively. Find out who they are and what they're about.

However, I'd say there are purposes that GCC is NOT supposed to serve.

1) Nonsense -- to a certain degree anyway. There's always a level of nonsense that results from the "letting-off-steam" humor that frequents AO and inhabits the personalities of its members. However, all things in balance, this is one thing that can go to a harmful extreme. Threads that are nonsense-only do not help the AO community, and are "too much of a good thing", so those should be avoided. The occasional interjection of nonsense, when appropriate, is widely welcomed, however -- especially by ME.

2) Complaining/Flaming -- GCC is a world of its own in a sense, but it still adheres to the same general guidelines of AO posting. Flaming and complaining/whining about insignificant issues (mind you, not the same as expressing ligit concerns) does not in any way facilitate an improved AO community. It only detracts from it.

So, I hope these thoughts will prove useful for the further enjoyment of the GCC. Chat on!

--James

One would think this would be clarified by the stickies but noooo, apparently nobody reads those anymore.

Yeah, if only we get someone to stand over their shoulders and not let them post until they read the stickies...Alas, wishful thinking...

AO French Antique News Whore
    Bah... Stick it anyway. It's better that nothing.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Let it float around for awhile first. Sometimes if a thread says "sticky" beside it, the people that *need* to read it probly won't. They'll be like "aw, that's boring stuff" and click on something more interesting in the forum.

Flaming and complaining/whining about insignificant issues (mind you, not the same as expressing ligit concerns) does not in any way facilitate an improved AO community.
    Come on, whats a forum without a flame and diss here and there....

Isn't that covered elsewhere in the official guidelines though? I think I recall reading something about how flaming can be used within certain limits as long as it doesn't get out of control. i.e., flaming someone for posting incorrect info, acting like they're in the know when they're not, etc. I believe that's the kind of flaming that's allowed.

Thanks for bringing that up Nem.

I haven't hardly entered this Forum because the term "general" sort of explained exactly what is in here. "general" crap with some good stuff mixed in.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Okay, here's my take on the flaming. Now I know I'm guilty of doing so, but I think flaming should be taken to a conference room or into PM's. Flaming should NOT be in the forum's, even if it is GCC. It only waste's bandwidth, people's time, etc blah. I know I'm guilty of flaming in the forum's and I'm going to try not to. If anyone has a personal matter they need to address with someone, do it in a PM to that user.

Just my $0.02..
    Space For Rent.. =]

I agree. I've slipped myself, but I try to adhere to the neg/report/forget routine.