Modem Connection Issue's

Thread: Modem Connection Issue's

Modem Connection Issue's

Greet's and Good Afternoon K, today I've been experiencing a number of problem's concerning my internet connect through my cable modem on my Win98se box. The modem is a Motorola Surfboard SB3100 cable modem. Now, earlier today (and it even started last night as well) I attempted to log onto AIM and check AO to see what's up. No connection. I decided to troubleshoot everything and determined something was up with the modem.

Now usually, it has four light's that are turned on (green) each signifying the Power, Recieve, Send, and Online. Below that is an orange light that blink's (normally) continuously for Activity. Well when I checked it, only the Power light was staying on and the Recieve would blink and occasionally stay on followed by Send blinking. Now when this happened I didn't really know what to do as I've never experienced this. I'm wondering in the event that it happen's again (since it started last night, turned on, then turned off this morning) what should I do. The simple solution that worked was just unplugging the whole modem then reconnecting it. But I don't want to/should have to do that to keep the system online. Any advice, comment's, etc? Thank's, all is appreciated.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Either you cable modem experienced a problem, in which case power cycling it is the best solution, or your cable provider had a problem and your modem didn't resync. If the problem continues I would contact your cable provider.

Originally posted here by zENGER
    Either you cable modem experienced a problem, in which case power cycling it is the best solution, or your cable provider had a problem and your modem didn't resync. If the problem continues I would contact your cable provider.
    I would agree on this but would like to add one more point. Calling the cable company is not going to do anything because the few cable companies that I have dealt with have deemed power cycling the modem every once in a while acceptable.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Yes, I have had that from time to time with WinME and DSL. Somehow the modem seems to lock up. It only happens about once every 6 weeks, so I just power it off and back on.

As suggested, I don't think you will get much joy from the provider, unless it is happening regularly, in which case they will probably tell you to change the modem.

You might just look at their site to make sure that they haven't changed the minimum specs.

Cheers

Okay checked the spec's and all is well. It's working now (and has been all day) but I'm still wondering "in the event" if it happens again. I did what nihil did and simply replugged it all the last time it happened. It didn't work unlike the time before that (where it did). So as of right now, my only solution is to unplug then replug everything if it happen's. But this is merely a temporary solution and I shouldn't have to do this to stay online. Anyone with more idea's, theories, comment's?
    Space For Rent.. =]

Hi Spyder~,

Just check the modem to see it is not getting very hot, but what you describe sounds like a provider problem to me. If it keeps happening I would be inclined to get them to check your connection................have you had a lot of rainfall recently?

Also, how old is the modem?

Cheers

Most cable and dsl providers do that, at times I can tolerate it when it goes down but if it happpends once a week or more, I would look for a different provider or see if I would get a credit on the bill.

Rainfall? More like all the angel's in heaven are crying because god has a stroke is what it is . Anyway's, sometime's the modem get's hot but I think it's a connection issue. The modem itself is about three maybe four year's old? In either sense, perhap's it's time to get a new one. They aren't that expensive anyway so yeah. Thank's for the help and information nihil, CXG, and zENGER.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Check the sides of the modem and see if there is any dust clogging up the vents that might help it cool down a bit.