Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Banned or Resigned Users

Banned or Resigned Users

As a number of users have Resigned from the site and asked to have their accounts closed, it seems the only thing the Mods can do is Ban the user. that is All their posts are Hidden (ok setting permitted) , and their Status is marked as "BANNED". This Implies to the other members that these people have done some thing wrong and have been booted.

Would it be better if another "Closed Account" Status be used like RESIGNED or RETIRED, or even EXPIRED (in the case of Memeber that have passed away) or TERMINATED..

cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

This sounds like a really good idea... It doesn't seem like it would be too terribly hard to implement either... (even though I don't know much about DB programming.)
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

Banned
    I don't like the idea... if people want to resign, all they have to do is not visit AntiOnline anymore, or simply not use their account anymore. Why would we give them yet another title (resigned/retired/whatever)? If they don't want to come to AntiOnline anymore, it's not like they're going to care what their title says.

Your right negative, but it would make life a little easier for the rest of us. When I see a member that was (I thought) in good standing and see that they have been banned, it makes me wonder what happened.

One thing that might be even more beneficial, is to have some sort of time limit on inactice accounts that automatically change a users title to 'Inactive' after they haven't had any activity through their account in a set period of time. Then when they come back again, it would automatically change their status back when they come back on site again.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

I felt the same as you Neg, but with the number of accounts "retiring" and asking to be banned.. it has meant that many of us who had left "View Hidden Posts" off now have to have this feature on to view post that we would have normaly had seen anyway, and then NOT have the option when it comes to deliberitly Hidden Posts..

Perhaps that is more my complaint.. and therefor my sugestion.. is for retired members not to have theit posts automaticly hidden.. that is it.. perhaps a "Inactive status" may be it.. but no hiding of their posts..

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

it would be a lot easier if a member that didnt want to be here any more just had to hit a resign button and then confirm it. it wouldnt make much difference to them as they wouldnt visit anymore but it would let the rest of us know what has happened to them.

er0k
    or just rm everything that user has posted by searching the thread database for every post the user made.. blah blah nice suggestion

Antionline Herpetologist
    I like the "inactive status" suggestion.

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

Banned
    There already is something similar: the Away Status in your profile. You can set your status to Away, fill out a reason, and a return date. Might need an update, though, since the dates only go as far as 2004.

I dont like the "rm" idea of deleting every trace that they existed including their "posts" as they were members when they posted and so it should stay. Even if they get banned, they weren't banned when they posted (obviously).