Thread: Something strange-mozilla & grisoft

Question Something strange-mozilla & grisoft

I just noticed something weird...when visiting Grisoft's website (for updating AVG -- for some reason, the autoupdater doesn't seem to like the combination of Windows XP and broadband) in Mozilla 1.6, my CPU usage hits 100%...yet with IE6 this doesn't occur....Has anybody else experienced this phenomenon, and if so, what could it be?

I assume the mozilla process is taking up all this CPU? Are there any services initialized by AVG when you get to that page? Does the CPU hit 100 when you start the DL or simply when the page loads? Any scripts or controls that Mozilla might have a tough time handling?

I had no issues getting to the page with Firebird, but then again I'm running Linux
    /\\

Re: Something strange-mozilla & grisoft

Originally posted here by gn0min0mic0n
    I just noticed something weird...when visiting Grisoft's website (for updating AVG -- for some reason, the autoupdater doesn't seem to like the combination of Windows XP and broadband) in Mozilla 1.6, my CPU usage hits 100%...yet with IE6 this doesn't occur....Has anybody else experienced this phenomenon, and if so, what could it be?
    Ok......why are you going to the Grisoft website to do an update? If you right click on the AVG symbol in your system tray, it gives you an option to update automatically -- right from there. You don't even have to have a browser open.

When I do update and have a browser open (Firefox by Mozilla) I don't notice a thing different. Of course I am using the autoup date from the system tray.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

He said there's some problem with the autoupdater. My suggestion in that case is to reinstall the software, maybe something got corrupt, or check the support section on the site for things that might be conflicting that don't allow you to autoupdate.
    /\\

Thanks for the replies! I should have been more precise from the beginning, so...

I use a laptop, running WinXP Pro as a power user, and Moz is my preferred browser.

At work I hook up to the network (broadband, a T1, I believe) and the autoupdate won't work; double-click the icon, choose update, I get an error message, along the lines of "cannot establish an automatic internet connection | check proxy settings".

At home, I run the same setup, but on DSL, and I get the same error message. However, on my Win98SE machine the autoupdate works just fine...that's why I suggested that AVG (free edition by the way) doesn't play well with broadband and WindowsXP Pro.

As far as the CPU usage, it happens when I get to the download page, and when the download begins. And yes, it *is* a Moz process, according to the Task Manager, and continues to run high until I close the tab. When I close the tab, everything's fine...just never ran into anything like this before, thought I'd mention it and find out if anyone else has seen this happen, and maybe offer some explaination.

Thanks again....

can you 'autoupdate' with any other software like firewalls or anything? how are you sure its avg's problem?

Well I use AVG/Moz/XP and ADSL and don't have any problems. The autoupdate works fine

I would be inclined to re-install AVG and update to Moz 1.7.

Good luck

I would think the update or mozilla procces is taking up all CPU usage which is not bad but it may slow you dawn for a little bit that is about it. From my knowledge.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Talk to your network admin at work. It's either a firewall or a content issue.

This of course assumes that you are allowed to plug your laptop into the work network willy-nilly..... You aren't allowed to on my network..... I'd be sure of that policy first....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Tiger: naw, there is no written policy in place *yet* (but i think this may change in the near future)... i.e. no one ever said i *couldn't* do it So for now it's a bit of a grey-area issue.

And anyway, i only use my own laptop when this comp goes down -- a backup system of sorts, as i need to access some special software to do my job...software that is only installed on these two systems, and i just-so-happen to plug into the network, force of habit i suppose .

As a side note, i think that my comp is more secure than the default Outlook/IE6 setups here at work...i know AVG is on their mail server, Spybot on each system, but that's about it...not sure about firewalls, spam filters, etc. It can't hurt me to ask the sysadmin.

Nihil: that's what i'm going to do, i probably need to allow for some option to install for all users?

Thanks again for all the replies!