Thread: All eyes on virus protection at Athens Olympics

AO French Antique News Whore

Post All eyes on virus protection at Athens Olympics

Terrorism isn't the only security threat officials are worried about at this summer's Olympic Games in Athens. They're also concerned about viruses and worm attacks that could cripple the Olympics' data network.
    "Our biggest concern is that somebody could intentionally or by mistake infect one of the networks and create severe damage," said Jean Chevallier, executive vice president at Atos Origin, the Paris-based company in charge of building the data and broadcast networks for the Olympic Games in Athens. "We don't want any type of traffic incident that could delay the posting of results or slow the network in any way," Chevallier said.

Atos, which first took charge as the primary systems integrator for the Olympic network for the Salt Lake City Games in 2002, has a contract with the International Olympic Committee to build networks for the 2006 Winter Olympics in Italy and the 2008 Summer Olympics in China.

Chevallier said network security was also a big concern in Salt Lake City but that in the past two years, the emphasis has changed. The Olympic Games in 2002 were only six months after the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, 2001, in New York and Washington, D.C.

Chevallier said his team worked around the clock to add last-minute security to ensure that confidential information about athletes and officials was protected.

Since then, concerns about confidentiality have shifted to worries about the growing number of virus and worm attacks. According to data from the FBI, about 82 percent of U.S. businesses were attacked by a virus in 2003, resulting in more than $200 billion in losses.

In addition to installing antivirus and intrusion detection products, Atos made some big architectural changes. The most important change is that it cut off access to the Internet from the network, because many viruses enter local networks through Web or e-mail connections.

Atos also established more sophisticated virtual local area networks, or VLANs, on the network. It chose a new network monitoring tool from Computer Associates that tracks, logs and prioritizes alerts on these separate VLANs. Because the VLANs are completely isolated from one another, if security is breached in one part of the network, it won't affect other parts of the network.

Olympic organizers in Athens have been criticized for falling behind schedule on a number of projects, including the construction of several sports venues. But Chevallier said the data network his team assembled is ready for action when the Games begin Aug. 13.

On Monday, Atos announced that it had completed the final technical rehearsal of the IT systems, communication, sports, security, venue management and press operations to ensure the readiness of the staff and technology.

Roughly 300 different crisis scenarios were tested during a one-week period, including information security issues--such as uncontrolled access to the data network and computer viruses--power outages, equipment failures and rescheduled sports events.

"I can tell you with confidence that there are no issues with any of the IT or communications networks," Chevallier said. "There may be other problems with moving machines, getting the right people in the right places, making sure there is power, parking, etc. But the network is in good shape."

The technology team was put to a real crisis test earlier this month, when all of Athens and the rest of southern Greece suffered a power blackout that lasted several hours. Electrical generators had not yet been installed in many of the venues, but Chevallier said that by opening day, generators will be available in case other problems occur. Greek officials are still investigating the cause of the blackout.
    Source : http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105_2-5280158.html
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Terrorism isn't the only security threat officials are worried about at this summer's Olympic Games in Athens.
    Terrorism never was a threat for Athens... even though Americans or Israelis or British people will be around this summer...

Terrorism in my ears sounds as the ''invention'' of the new millenium...

Its a term manufactured for companies to earn millions of dollars or euros or whatever ( i.e. defense / war industry), for companies to earn millions undertaking the mission of our security during Olympics and for countries to meddle in other countries for their own advantages...

Sorry if this is not too relevant with the article u posted... as a Greek im tired with these ''terrorist threats'' for Athens and Olympics during last years...

have a nice weekend people

--peace
    Hey Hunter... I assume you have something against wings and for that you kill birds... I also have something against stars but i do not kill skies...

I think that since 9/11 the world has learned a lesson or two about the threat of terrorism. I think that the preparation is quite good. Sometimes, I do believe that we have to think positive and look on the brighter side.

Regards and Godspeed.
    If your curious, your probably interested.

Wow this could be really bad if some one does attack this all with viruses... but they should be smart and hire smart people to keep it all virus free and protected.

Terrorism in my ears sounds as the ''invention'' of the new millenium...
    Good point and one I agree with. Each day I see the term "terrorist" used with as much blind fear and baised attitude as the term "communist" was during the cold war. Every leader of the America has to gain control over it's population for support on other ends, and striking fear (however false or true) into the hearts of people is the shortest route next to threatening to put a bullet in their head.

I don't let "terrorism" hinder my life, the news of it, nor the term. Life continues on as it did before the phrase "You did/hate/saw/support/watched _______? You are a TERRORIST!" became the new US slogan.

On the other hand I can remember the Munich Olympics.................

Madrid Train Bombings............

Bali..............

I do not recommend complaceny, or "it won't happen here" attitudes.

My thoughts

I do not recommend complaceny, or "it won't happen here" attitudes.
    Let us hope that security wont become an issue at these games. If anything was to happen,
    it would forever ruin the Olympic spirit, and be much more harder to regain it's appeal in bringing
    together the world for peace and a time of normality, in what is otherwise a screwed up and
    declining world society.
    I hope that the three small bombs that were detonated in Greece a short while back, were not
    a test run for the bigger ones. It was played down to be "only three small bombs" by the Greeks,
    and passed off as an ongoing dispute between factions in their country, if so, what stops these
    already present groups making their point when the whole world will be watching?

On the other hand I can remember the Munich Olympics.................
    I only remember what was on the news years after this event, and documetaries that i have seen,
    and agree it was a major event, but what can now be done, as has been, by these terroists,
    murderers, is by far a worse method of operation. One small van is all is needed to scar this event
    beyond imagination.

Let's all hope that these groups who are out to prove themselves, can at least see the peace and
    stability the games create, even if it is only for a couple of weeks, and refrain from doing anything,
    that i feel, just might.

AFLAAACKKK!!
    If a network is not connected to the internet, and all computers attached to the network are clean and you have good trustworthy people using the machines on the network, then how can a virus still get in?
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

If a network is not connected to the internet, and all computers attached to the network are clean and you have good trustworthy people using the machines on the network, then how can a virus still get in?
    Exactly, trustworthy people will be how it would be done, so-called trustworthy that is.

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    9/11 changed a lot of things, especially for the USA. It affected the global economy as the US economy drives a lot of things, it affected our economy horribly (as we just had started dealing with the internet bust), and from that day forth, the whole concept of 'terrorism' was redefined.

This is a good and bad thing. It's good that we no longer think "that happens to other countries" or "that's what other people go through" and that we're taking a lot more precautionary steps towards being more secure, even if it won't work because there's simply too much ground to cover and we, as a country allowing anything to go, have been too lax in security for the past God knows how many years...

It's bad because now businesses are still using "9/11" as an excuse to "cut costs", further hamstringing the economy by emptying people into an already vaporized job market, all the while still spending tons of money on their political frontends who'll never take a pay cut in their natural life. It's bad because we're sacrificing our "rights" for "security" and the minute we do that, we don't deserve either (someone way more important and famous said that, hehe).
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.