Thread: Blacklisted 411

Blacklisted 411

I was out to dinner tonight and afterwards I stopped at borders to pick up my summer copy of 2600.

I'm a regular reader of 2600 but have only been reading it for the past 5 years or so.

Imagine my surprise when I see another periodical called Blacklisted 411 .

I had never seen it before and there was only one copy left.

I leaped over and snatched it right out from in front of someone... he then looked at me... then I snatched 2600. The guy was rather surprised... and I would be too... I was rude. I didn't say excuse me or anything... that is very unlike me. I later saw him at the checkout with 2600... Ah well... thats not why I'm posting this.

I have only dug through the first couple of pages of this periodical. They have been around for quite sometime, but this is the first time I've ever seen it or even heard of it.

I've never been in the "underground scene" and just got interested in security as a hobby.
    Its since grown from a hobby to an obsession... I love it. I just have "strong ethics"... IMO.

Phrack is one I know of and read. I just haven't read over all the "outdated" zines.

Anyway...

How long have they been publishing this (paper copy)?
    Why have I never heard of them?
    In your opinion... is it better than 2600?

What other e-zines or periodicals do you regularly read?

Ah... and excuse this n00b post. Yes.. I'm still a n00b in many ways.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

from their faqs page:

Q: Are you the same company that produced Blacklisted! 411 that was in print 1994 through 1999?

A: Yes, absolutely. We are the same company with the same people...and we're even at the same address.

Q: I haven’t seen a new issue of Blacklisted! 411 in a while, what’s up?

A: We stopped publishing in 1999, took a much needed break and started publishing again in late 2003. Since then, we've published three issues of Blacklisted! 411 magazine. If you're having difficulty locating our magazine, ask them if they carry it - and if they don't, to please start carrying it. You can try Borders or Barnes & Noble as they carry it. If all else fails, subscribe.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

LoL

Guess I should have read their FAQ...

Thanks Ted!
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Thanks phish...great find Blacklisted411! I too subscribe and read 2600 and like it.

As far as other mags/etc, it's mostly corporate-related stuff for my job (probably boring to many here):

* Secure Computing (by Network World mag)
    * Network World Magazine
    * SC Magazine
    * Business 2.0
    * Fast Company

And a bunch of e-zines...so many too many to list.

I've never been in the "underground scene" and just got interested in security as a hobby. Its since grown from a hobby to an obsession... I love it. I just have "strong ethics"... IMO.
    I don't have a interest in security... & I think calling the whole l33t h4x0r mess an "underground scene" to be a huge oxymoron. And I'm about as unethical as it goes but from the looks of it...

Conventions
    LayerOne - Los Angeles, CA - June 12-13, 2004 at the Los Angeles Airport Westin
    Defcon - Las Vegas, NV - July 30-August 1, 2004 at the Las Vegas Alexis Park Hotel & Resort
    Toorcon - San Diego, CA - September 26-28, 2004 at the San Diego Manchester Grand Hyatt
    Interz0ne - Atlanta, GA - Spring 2005
    If I dont flock to read it... they'll just come to me instead. Hopefully unlike last year... I'll be able to blance things like driveing to random people's houses, hanging with under-age drinkers and junkies, and still have enought time to either stay for a few more days or handel whats needed at home.

Mwhaha don't feel bad about snatching it from in front of some dude. If he wanted it he should've acted faster.

I have yet to see 2600 at Chapters [which is similar to the American Borders] but maybe I should look more carefully. Of course, certain books need to be ordered... the 'special' type. 'Mein Kampf' for example you can't even order [which I find to be censorship, they are free not to carry it but I should at least be able to order it; I know this because a friend needed it for research]. I had to order some Satanic book, and I'm sure the 'underground' computer publications are in a similar condition.

It could be argued that there's not a lot of demand and that's why corporate book stores tend to sell crap literature for the most part [no, there are good books, but not controversial ones]. But not being able to order some stuff I find to be most distressing. Good thing I generally shop at used book stores...
    /\\

Yea, I actually just recently picked one up about 2 weeks ago from a borders as well... at first i figured it was some new local thing, but looking down at the volume number had me confused. It is an ok mag... cant say i suggest everyone jumping up and purchasing a copy. It is a little less technical of a read then im used to, not that articles on dumpster diving are bad. ;-)

-Shell_Coder