Thread: notepad

notepad

when I try to open a file with Notepad from the "Open With.." list I cant find Notepad there. If I browse to notepad.exe in C:\Windows and select it, it still does not appear in the list and Winxp just doesnt open the file with notepad. But if I open notepad from shortcut on the start menu and the File>Open the same file from within notepad it opens fine.....

Any help is greatly appreciated since I have to open a lot of files with notepad for coding...
    all your base belong to us.

yo reread the question i have tried that and it did not work
    all your base belong to us.

Well go to File Types and for that file type manually edit the program you want to open it with. I can safely assume [from your answer to DeadAddict's post] that you went to Open With... > Choose Program to look for Notepad. Otherwise why would it simply show up in the list?

[edit]

Interesting, the post below used to be second in the thread... hmmm

[/edit]
    /\\

When you have the open with dialog box displayed on your screen is the box at the bottom checked? if not browse to the notepad.exe and then click on ok and it should open up in notepad everytime you double click on that file and others like it.
    it should work

Adding Items to the right click menu of Files and Folders is also fairly simple using the Registry. It just involves the creation of a few new keys for each item you wish to add. You edit the same keys used for removing items. Let's use Notepad as an example of an item you'd like to add to the right click menu of all your files or folders.
    http://personal-computer-tutor.com/abc2/v11/vic11.htm
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

That is one confusing ass question refrase it and maby i can help sorry.

BANNED
    Notepad sucks for coding get a program that has syntax highlighting. Just my two cents on the matter though.
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

I have just tried it on my XP box...................

The open with list has two sections: recommended programs, and other programs..............notepad comes top of the list of recommended programs.

You might try going into your XP CD and running the repair option.

Otherwise if you use the "browse" button and find notepad, with the "always use this program....." option box ticked, that should work, like dead addict said.

You might like to consider setting "wordpad" as the default if you work with large scripts.

I think muert0's suggestion is probably the best though............anyone got any recommendations?

Cheers

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    GridinSoft Notepad

Text Editor Code Editor

EditPlus

TextPad

UltraEdit 32

Lite Edit

NoteTab Light

IIRC, Note Tab Light was one that I used for a while to replace notepad (this was at the suggestion of my uncle)
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage