Thread: Physical Security/Wireless Camera

Physical Security/Wireless Camera

I'm an IT tech/security guy at a small chain of retail stores. We have reason to believe some employees have been stealing merchandise. We currently have a CCTV system set up inside the stores but not in the storage areas. The computer that's controlling the CCTV system can handle more cameras, so we're probably going to be putting more cameras in those back areas.

Here's my question, though... the "Big Boss" wants to monitor the outside of the building in our primary store. He specifically wants cameras on the dumpster out back so he can see if someone is dumping inventory in there during the day and then coming back at night and fishing it out. There's simply too much activity in those back rooms to be able to really tell if someone takes an extra box out with during the day, so the dumpster watching approach makes sense.

Because of the lease on the building, we are unable to drill holes in the side of the building to mount a camera or to run cables (coax and power). My first inclination is to find a wireless and solar powered camera/webcam that we could mount on the roof and point down a the dumpster. I have googled for such a device without much luck. Anyone have any experience/recomendations for a device like this? We also need to be able to archive the video so we can review it every morning.

Thanks in advance!

HQ

Did you look at:

http://www.x10.com/home/offer.cgi?!PFAST,../x10search7.htm

That looks like a good deal.

Take a look at this one as well:

http://www.pakatak.co.uk/camera/camera.htm

Cheers.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Might I suggest that a padlock for the dumpster might be cheaper. The manager can put it on when staff leave and re-open it at opening time.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."
    ...And that's why we keep Tiger around

You could also always try the deterrent approach; Blatantly set a loss prevention guy out back to watch what comes and goes...
    Above ground, vertical, and exchanging gasses.
    Now you see me | Now you don't
    "Relax, Bender; It was just a dream. There's no such thing as two." ~ Fry
    sometimes my computer goes down on me

Of the cams listed above (by Cybr1d), the X10 looks like it might be best for our needs, but I still have an issue with getting the power to the camera. Also, does anyone have any experience with these cameras? If so, what issues do they present? I'm not one to believe that they're as wonderful as their website says, but are did you find them to be good enough?

Tiger Shark... unfortunately the dumpster is shared between a few different businesses. They all have approximately the same closing time, so we might be able to work something out though. I'll run that idea by the boss and see what he says. I also think he wants to catch the person and hold them accountable, not just prevent it from happening.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

HQ

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    The padlock idea simply stems from the fact that I would put the stuff in the dumpster and send a friend to pick it up later. When the police catch him he can simply say he was dumpster diving and that since the items had been placed in the garbage he didn't think they were wanted. The police wouldn't even bother to fill out the paperwork for that so he would be off scott free and you still wouldn't know who was the thief within......

Your camera may show my friend not me..... Now you are out the items and you still don't know who stole from you.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides