Thread: how does the get the ip address using the host name?

how does the get the ip address using the host name?

helo,
    when we type the url,as soon we will find the ip address of that particular system at the end of the window..howz is it possible...

er0k
    good link val.

in non-techy terms, its like a street address for your computer. say you run a website, you have www.mysite.com or something. In order to get that site, you have to register with a company or a DNS host. they say "well your ip is xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, which now points to www.mysite.com"

therefore www.mysite.com and xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (ip address) or now the same thing.

I think he might've meant something along the lines of DNS translation and stuff... but yeah, article should cover it.
    /\\

I'm guessing your question has probobally been answered....but, just in case....

http://www.hcidata.co.uk/host2ip.htm
    Faqt

If you want to make God laugh....make plans.

just for future reference (and incase the links go dead)

there are 2 really quick ways where you can get the IP address of a hostname,

first is PING, it may not give you any echo replies, but it will give you the IP address

ex: ping www.google.com

second is NSLOOKUP, which can do a lot more than just give you the IP address, but i will not bore you with all the details

ex: nslookup www.google.com
    [gloworange]find / -name \"*your_base*\" -exec chown us:us {} \\;[/gloworange] [glowpurple]Trust No One[/glowpurple][shadow] Use Hardened Gentoo [/shadow]
    CATAPULTAM HABEO. NISI PECUNIAM OMNEM MIHI DABIS, AD CAPUT TUUM SAXUM IMMANE MITTAM