Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bin Laden Suicide Virus

Bin Laden Suicide Virus

A virus purporting to show images of Osama Bin Laden's suicide popped up on the Internet on Friday, designed to entice recipients to open a file that unleashes malicious software code, security experts said.

The virus was attached to a message that was posted on over 30,000 usenet newsgroups and is not being spread via e-mail, said Web security vendor Sophos.

The U.S. government has been hunting for Bin Laden since 2001, holding him responsible for masterminding the attacks on the World Trade Center and Pentagon on Sept. 11, 2001, but he has not yet been found.

Chris Kraft, senior security analyst at Sophos, said the message and virus was designed to lure unsuspecting readers into opening a file, similar to the Anna Kournikova virus that enticed readers to open a file that unleashed malicious software code.

"If you don't know the person or the origin of a message, you shouldn't be opening it," Kraft said.

The fake Bin Laden suicide file, when opened, unleashes a program called a Trojan horse that makes it possible for attackers to take over infected personal computers running Microsoft Corp.'s Windows operating system.

Kraft said the virus itself had already appeared on the Internet before, but the virus writer had apparently repackaged it by saying it contained Bin Laden's suicide photos.
    -- Yahoo.com

"If you don't know the person or the origin of a message, you shouldn't be opening it," Kraft said.
    That's right kid's!
    Space For Rent.. =]

Am I the only one pissed off that Windows hides file extensions by default? It only works in the trojan writer's favor.

While I completely and totally agree with you, it is also a user's incompetence that work's most in the trojan writer's favor.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Define hideing? You mean known/unknown filetypes or padding? Either way... I really don't get the point of blameing M$, an OS, or (insert random scape-goat) because of other people's stupidity.

today, i cleaned a lusers computer that had 39 infections in it. 39, idiot. he sais he never opens any emails with attatchments, why lie when its obvious what happend? i still cant get over it. call to helldesk "Hello, my virus scan keeps popping up with a window saying im infected, i already deleted the file, but it keeps saying im infrected, anyway to disable it???" bleh, and the network and adminstrators are the ones that pay for the bandwidth and consequences.

Am I the only one pissed off that Windows hides file extensions by default?
    ok, control panel -> folder options -> view -> uncheck "Hide Extentions for known file types"
    tada

Then just be on the lookout for:
    thishasareallylongfilenamebecauseitsavirustrojanorwhatever.jpg.exe
    of course the filename would be more, shall we say, "explicit" then that.
    You are so bored that you are reading my signature?

Hmmm first the world trade now the internet...when will the taliban stop.. LOL j/k hmmm wonder when there will be a patch released for it.

It's a trojan horse application, not a vulnerability. No need for a patch, just don't download it to your computer and if you happen to, delete it.
    Space For Rent.. =]

T3h Ch3F
    Originally posted here by Scary_in_Binary
    Am I the only one pissed off that Windows hides file extensions by default? It only works in the trojan writer's favor.
    Perhaps you are not the only one, but pretty close. The people who should really be pissed are the ones who have no clue what File Extensions are. Let alone reconfig. of user preferences.

Remember a "functional" system depends a great deal on the "Moron" factor of it's operator. hehe

Get some good religion from Bad Religion.

Well I guess you could be pissed at it being the default setting. Same reason for which ICF isn't enabled by default and other things aren't all pink. But that doesn't mean the idiots are to be held less responsible.

I never thought I'd say this, but I guess I'm happy a lot of people are scared at the idea of Linux. A Linux machine that's poorly configured could be, possibly, of higher use for a malicious infiltrator. That would make Linux zombies more dangerous on the Internet, as attacks would evolve from DDoSes to something far more difficult to stop and/or prevent.

But that's just a hypotheses.
    /\\