Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bin Laden Suicide Virus

what worries me is that on windows the trojan can be found,on linux or unix because of the filesystems they use it may be easier to hide a backdoor. Still as long as you try to stay away from the root user you should be pretty right.???
    Maybe.........

1. This particular trojan is aimed at Windows-only machines as the article states.
    2. One trojan cannot be used on both *nix and Windows machines because the binary format is not compatible. If whoever makes the trojan decides to compile two versions [or more, depending on architectures and OSes] than the chance of it being extensively spread is exponentially reduced.
    3. If a Linux box is trojanned it does not matter under what privileges the infiltration was made. Once remote access is gained to the machine rootkits and other flaws can be used to escalate privileges [just like it could be done on a Win box] if that would be the aim.

Most trojans are directed to Windows machines due to their relative wider spread. That combined with the fact that people using other OSes tend to know a bit more about basic computer security and are less likely to fall for tricks like this. No, I am not labelling Windows users as stupid [given that my limited knowledge of the Windows OS is without doubt better than my limited knowledge of the Linux OS]. Simply, the two factors make for trojan and virii writesr to focus on Win machines more. That's not to say such 'animals' do not exist for other OSes either.
    /\\

Dead Man Walking
    It all boils down to stupid people. Its not microsofts fault its not linux's fault. Its a 50/50 split as far as blame goes. 50% of the blame goes on dipshit users who wont learn not to click on the attachment. The other 50% goes to the jackasses who feel the need to create the malicious code. Its one thing to do it in an isolated test environment but a completely diffrent to release it into the wild. Nobody ever says anything about the ******* that writes the virus/trojan/exploit but when they get busted they get treated like martrys. Take mitnic for example. Okay so he may or may not have been an uber h4x0r depending on who you ask but he was still a jackass. He did things he wasnt supposed to do and got busted for it. All of the sudden hes a national hero in hackerville.

Wow i got a little side tracked there.

Well with Mitnick there's another thing, namely the fact that he got a very long sentence only because what he did was through computers [he is notorious for social engineering but of course all with the purpose of gaining access]. If any other Joe would have done exactly what Mitnick did but without any relation to computers the sentence would have been quite different. [and I am completely side-tracked now ]
    /\\