Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Teaching Yourself (Redone)

Well this sure is a useful sticky!
    - Somna

i think it should be posted again.let everyone know it.

Frustrated Mad Scientist
    It's a sticky ya plonker, it always stays at the top.

Informative thread, I think learning to fix problems in general as a skill is a lot better than learning how to fix a single problem.
    Darksats Security Forum
    The Internet is boring, I want the expansion pack.

The Real Sexism is against men
    Rapebombing

greats

WOW, it suprizes me that this is still here, I wrote this a long time ago under a diffrent user befor i got banned. wow it was only a couple of years ago, yet it feels like so long.

I'm not sure I ever read it to begin with. I can't agree more with teaching yourself. I try my best to figure things out on my own using many different methods. Its rare that you'll find me ask how to do something other than to help provoke more ideas. Right now, I've been using the CBT Nuggets. Someone gave me access to one of their archive servers... I've been watching a couple videos a day. I make it a point to go to the library on Mondays after work and watch 6 or so of those videos. Even if I will never use the software or technologies I'm learning, as least I know the concepts and can have an intelliget technical conversation about it. That has helped me a lot in the past with getting job offers.
    Last edited by phishphreek; March 17th, 2007 at 11:01 PM.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Great Post.

First I want to introduce myself. I live an California and am 40 years old.
    It is because of a great hunger to learn that I am here now.

In the past, I paid little attention to computer security. Instead I focused on running my own business. However, it was not until this year did I realize I need to learn more.

Some time ago I disabled the wireless setting on my home lan for security reasons. I also disabled the wireless settings on all of my laptops. However, somehow when I logged on to my router earlier this year, I discovered the disabled wireless setting on my router had somehow been re-enabled. I then discovered there was an unrecognized mac address listed to have accessed my router.

I quickly disabled all file and printer sharing. And tried to disable my wireless settings without success. A stranger was on my network that very minute! I quickly unplugged my router.

As a result, I knew I better learn more about computer security. Ive since listened to most every presentation put on by IronGeek. I learned to dual boot with grub and run deb. Ive learned about arp poison and believe Ive been poisoned in the past. Ive been learning the basics of linux and also changed all of my passwords. Ive been trying to learn everything I can get my hands on.

Though I do not know as much as most of you experts, I can say that it is important to know about security and not just rely on MS updates!

looks pretty good.

Hello sujith34,

You have been warned and you have now had three strikes.................

I guess that spambots can't take warnings?