using programs installed in other os??

Thread: using programs installed in other os??

Banned

Unhappy using programs installed in other os??

Using programs

Well thanx for all the replies in my previous posts and I do hope you will continue the same here.
    As mentioned earlier I have 2 OS M$ 2000 and 98se in 2 separate partion C&D , I've all my programs installed (messenger ,office)installed in 2000 , now I want to use these in 98 too, is there any way I can do this with out having to reinstall them . I mean to re -install is one more time and resource consuming head ach is there any way I can do this, you know registry tweaks and stuff like that .....???

Thanx for your replies

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    The major problem you are going to have is that the Win98 partition doesn't natively recognize an NTFS partition. I believe there is a utility out there somewhere that will let it read one, try googling for it.

The second issue I see is the fact that some of those installs will require registry entries. Since Win98 doesn't have a registry they will probably fail.

Silly question, I can understand having a Linux partition and a Win2k partition, but I can't fathom why you want a Win2k and a Win98 partition. Most programs that run on Win98 will run on Win2k. If they don't you can try "Compatibility Mode" in Win2k which seems to do a pretty good job of running older software.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Banned
    no both c & d (2000 &98 )are in fat partion, thats what i gave as option , i remember correctly that i gave no for conversion to ntfs know when i'd fall back to 98 it'd coz problems.

and i don think you can convert ntfs to fat can you?? i heard some where

thanx tiger shark

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    There might be a facility out there that can revert an NTFS partition to a FAT16/32 but I very much doubt it.

I still wonder why you want Win98 at all..... You could have a whole lot more space if you stuck with 2000 and ditched the 98.... 2000 is so much better of an OS.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Banned
    win 2000 has troubles detectiting my modem and the drivers i give is not being ccepted (motorolla modem sm56) so when ever i need to access the net i use win 98 as it has no troubles in detectionand installation , i hope noe the picture is clear to you

i real thank you for showing such intrest in me

Originally posted here by Tiger Shark
    The major problem you are going to have is that the Win98 partition doesn't natively recognize an NTFS partition. I believe there is a utility out there somewhere that will let it read one, try googling for it.
    the free version of ntfsdos pro will give you read-only access to your NTFS partitions
    [gloworange]find / -name \"*your_base*\" -exec chown us:us {} \\;[/gloworange] [glowpurple]Trust No One[/glowpurple][shadow] Use Hardened Gentoo [/shadow]
    CATAPULTAM HABEO. NISI PECUNIAM OMNEM MIHI DABIS, AD CAPUT TUUM SAXUM IMMANE MITTAM

Hi,

Silly question, I can understand having a Linux partition and a Win2k partition, but I can't fathom why you want a Win2k and a Win98 partition. Most programs that run on Win98 will run on Win2k. If they don't you can try "Compatibility Mode" in Win2k which seems to do a pretty good job of running older software.
    The main reason I have seen Win98 with Win2K/XP is to run old games. I have several that will not run on NT based software, either because DOS emulation doesn't work, or, more common, because they try to access the hardware directly, and 2K/XP won't allow this to happen.

Cheers

Antionline Herpetologist
    To answer your question, what I've done to solve this kind of a problem is just install it to the same drive/location in both OS's. Alternatively, run filemon and regmon during installation and see what files and registry entries are added and recreate them in the other OS.

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

Banned
    hey kanchi
    could you expand on that topic a bit more ,pease , i couldnt get you properly
    thanx a lot!!

Antionline Herpetologist
    OK, suppose you're installing MS-Office. Under 98, install it in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office. Then boot into 2000 and install it in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office. That's what I meant by same drive/location.

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com