Hi,

I have a wireless internet connection which is to say my ISP has a transmitter tower on a line of sight hilltop which sends to the receiving antenna mounted on my house. Overall its a wonderful thing since I get 1.5mbps in both directions and I live too far out in the sticks to get cable or DSL service.

The problem is that someone is treating the transmitter as a 'hotspot' and has hacked my logon and password and is downloading a lot of data..best guess 60-100mb a day.

My plan allows for one gigabyte a month of bandwidth; beyond that I have to pay extra for the excess usage.

My ISP keeps telling me that it isn't possible to hack them.

But after dealing with their suggestion that it had to be spyware doing it to me I finally got my password changed this past Wednesday (07/21/04)..on Thursday I had about 18mb of traffic...but by Friday it jumped back up to 60+mb and today is up to 69mb and climbing.

I have Sygate Pro firewall installed, Nortan AV updated regularly, XP home with all updates and I routinely run Spybot and Adaware (both with latest updates). Additionally I have a bogus Hosts file that redirects all known adclick sites to 127.0.0.1. And my home network is hardwired.

So..what can I do to convince my ISP that they are being hacked? How is it being done? What can I do to protect my self? Is it possible to track down the culprit? If so, I would love to show them some 'mountain justice.'

Thank you.

Erick