Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a New Virus?

Is there a New Virus?

Today i have jsut had the worst comkputer day i have had since like i just started to learn how to fix comps and get them secure and virus free!
    But no today had to be a bad day dam it... lol
    well 3 days ago i ran a full system scan and you know i had ti viruses and i was like holy wow
    i got a virus! but no today my system completely shuit down 3 or 4 times and restarted about 10 times all on its own right after iw ould dial up on to the net!

Well does any one no if there is a new virus out there that may be on my comp such a sytem killer or something maby a system shut down brake my computer virus?...LOL i am not sure but i am hoping i got rid of it b/c i jsut ran a scan and it foud 37 viruses!!! That is the most i have ever had by like 30or something! so i was jsut wondering what is new viruses out there that maby could do this to my system?TY

I don't know of one.

Sounds like your system just filled up with malware and choked on it.

You need the following:

AdAware 6
    SpyBot Search&Destroy
    A firewall
    An up to date virus scanner

Update them all, boot into SAFE MODE and run them.

Then try running Trend Micro's "Housecall"

Good luck

EDIT:

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html

http://www.trendmicro.com/en/home/global/enterprise.htm

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

Hmm yep there are a few.. nooies out there..

llike you cud vist Symantec..lol

here is the url..lol of their security responce page..lol

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/

The other companies like .. lol .. Trend Micro, McAfee, Grisoft. Panda, Sophos, Kasperesky (the russian mob can never spell it rite) . have similar pages..

.But it seem you are ahead..lol
    my system completely shuit down 3 or 4 times and restarted about 10 times
    your starts are ahead..
    could be worse.. could be a MSBLAST Varient.. lol.. with one..ithe executable is mslaugh.exe.. with it you can't shut down the pc at all.. lol.

Cheers..

BTW: what is this trend with ppl.. punctuating their sentences with "LOL"? are we trying to lighten up a seriious and frustrating situation.. or are we seriously laughing..or just plain laughing? or am i in a grumpy old fart mood ..which is no good as I still have another 20 or so years B4 I reach that group..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Hi Undies,

As the guy has actually scanned and found 37, I guess that they are not "that" new. The most I ever found on a single machine was 106, and that displayed exactly the same symptoms, but that was Adware/Spyware..there were only 5 trojans/viruses as such.

That is why my suggestion was that there are too many bad guys trying to run at the same time.

BTW: what is this trend with ppl.. punctuating their sentences with "LOL"? are we trying to lighten up a seriious and frustrating situation.. or are we seriously laughing..or just plain laughing? or am i in a grumpy old fart mood ..which is no good as I still have another 20 or so years B4 I reach that group..
    Don't worry mate, I have you on an accelerated learning plan and you will soon catch me up

Could it be that more people are surfing with Java "off" so they cannot use the smilies?

Cheers

That is why all virus programs have an updater...
    I do not know the numbers...but I bet there is
    several new ones a week if not a day....
    Norton System Works 2004 on a new install is up to 12 megs of updates....
    almost as bad as M$.......
    Franklin Werren at www.bagpipes.net
    Yes I do play the Bagpipes!

And learning to Play the Bugle

Thx but where is a good place to get a free firewalla i have adware 6 S&D and norton 03
    and it runs auto live update and i do all this...
    So i guess i need a
    Firewall, but i do not no of a good free one
    And what is trend micros Husecall
    and how do i get into safe mode to run all this?
    THX

If you go to the site there is a "scan you computer now/online scan" option about about a quarter way down on the left centre. That is "housecall"

To get into "safe mode" hit F8 as the computer is booting up...........you have to "pump" the key up and down...............if you get "stuck key" hit the escape key whilst pumping F8.

You can run "housecall" in normal mode. I am guessing that you have Windows ME/2000/XP. If you are on an earlier version, you might have to use F5, if F8 doesn't work.

Good luck

For a firewall Sygate works quite well and ZoneAlarm works quite well if you set it to maximum security. If you are new to firewalls try ZoneAlarm..........it is free.

AFLAAACKKK!!
    Is it possible to run housecall from safe mode though? Has anyone tried it before? I'm assuming it is...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

The Duck

When you boot into "safe mode" you start your computer with minimal services, drivers etc. With all Windows versions 95/98/98SE/ME this means that your modem is not "loaded" or available.

The NT family (NT4/2K/XP) are commercial OSes that are "network aware". When you boot them into the startup options screen you have the option of selecting "safe mode" or "safe mode with network support" If you chose the "network support" option your NIC/modem should be recognised and you should be able to access the internet.

I have not actually tried it yet, but I may give it a go today and will edit this thread with the results.

BEWARE!!! You will most likely have to start your firewall manually........REMEMBER to do this BEFORE you connect to the internet. Obviously if you are using a hardware firewall/router then it will be unaffected by one of it's "clients" being started in safe mode.

So the theoretical answer is "yes" (provided that you have an NT based OS) but I have not tried it yet.

EDIT:
    Well it didn't work on this machine, but I think that is something to do with how my ADSL is set up, and the fact that there is a NIC card that is not connected to anything.

I had a very slow network last friday. On some machine i found C:\winnt\system32\windows24.exe file in there. www.panda-software.com detected it as a virus.

Both Symantec/ TrendMacro fail to detect nor prevent it from coming in.
    Most of the machine has it block at bay. (But infected memory.)

Any way to findout which machine in the network is distributing this virus?