Thread: convert string to md5?

Question convert string to md5?

I am wondering if anyone can recommend a program that will allow me to type in a word like
    password

and convert this word to a MD5 hash that will be readable in a .htpasswd file.

Background:

The webserver I use is htaccess compatible but I can't access the file to create the login name and password for my website so what I am looking for is a program that will convert the string i type in to the proper hash so that I can type it into a text editor and upload the .htpasswd file the manual way. Thanks for the help
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

http://www.euronet.nl/~arnow/htpasswd/
    http://www.flash.net/cgi-bin/pw.pl

Just type in the information and they'll produce the correct output for you.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

Fire up your favourite text editor, download Digest::MD5 from CPAN and kick in with some simple little Perl code. Take arguments from the command line or upon program execution and the function would calculate the md5 sum for you.

You could use any of the programs mentioned, but that means missing out on the fun of coding :| Well I guess under Windows you'd be better off getting one of those because othrwise you need to DL a lot of stuff to make you Win box Perl-ready.
    /\\

Well I guess under Windows you'd be better off getting one of those because othrwise you need to DL a lot of stuff to make you Win box Perl-ready.
    How so? All you need is ActivePerl and you'll have Perl on your system. It comes with a package manager similar to CPAN that allows you to download modules such as Digest::MD5.

I think writing a tool from scratch is a bit over the top when all you want is an MD5 hash of a string.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

Yeah ActivePerl, but I remember taking some time to install it... don't remember, maybe it was the oldschool comp I used to have

I had to write such a program in Perl [I wrote it in Perl because it was easiest] that would need to find the original string that got md5 hashed twice... a basic brute forcing tool, I know. It took only a few lines of code. And yes, it was done for legal purposes [the GEEK challenges ]
    /\\