Linux on XBox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux on XBox

Linux on XBox

I'm about to purchase an XBox and was researching pros and cons to the XBox and came across talks about running ports of Linux on XBox. There is even a way to do so without making any hardware adjustments. I may be interested in doing so but I'm kinda interested in the pros and cons to it everywhere I have found by means of google is like an advertisement for it and only gives the good things... By doing the software solution to do this it can supposedly be undone with no reprecussions but what legal effects and what effects to warranty would this emplace? Anyone hear done this or know anything about it?

-_LeeBkr311_-

Yes, you can run Linux on your Xbox. Infact the latest 2600 mag has a how to on loading up Debian on your XBox it is pretty slick.

- MilitantEidolon
    Yeah thats right........I said It!

Ultimately everyone will have their own opinion--this is mine.

I know it's possible and I've even researched how to do it I was just curious if anyone here had done it and could give me there opinion of it and if they new about any of the legal crap or whether or not it voids warranty

you can run *nix on other consoles too. Xbox is easy, since is a pc....

I couldnt find the xbox warranty agreement, but i dont advise you to do that operation you are affraid of loose warranty.

Anyway use a cheaper pc to run linux. I bet that it will be better than the crap xbox!
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

I'm planning on buying an XBox regardless of whether or not I'm going to load linux. I probably will stay away from though do to the warranty issue. Thanks anyway though.

good idea. xbox for gaming only is the best choice
    BTW ive been told that XBOX is not going well as MS wants. And MS is (or was) thinking about to terminate it. anybody heard that gossip?
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

*GASP!*

Say it ain't so! No more Halo?!

Actually I do know what you are talking about and actually the issue regards the HD. Because of the costs of the HD in each box they are losing money on each box something to the effect of 6$ per box but really they break even with licensing for games but still their plan is to do away with the HD on the XBox 2 aka XBox Next. But I also heard rumors that they are working on a patent for a new "disk storage device for console systems" if you guys are really interested I can dig up that info for you... I've done a lot of research on the stuff in the last 2 weeks since I made my descision to buy one.

Blast From the Past
    im getting an xbox 2 when ever they come out and making my xbox linux and im gonna get a 40 gig hdd for it...hell...il host my small ftp server on it...

anyone know where i can get 2600 magazine?...ive heard about it but have never been able to find it...is it mail order or like an ebook or can i go to borderd or barns and nobel and find it?
    work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger