Hey all,

I'm setting up a server right now for my LAN, and I've got Apache going now, but I'm wondering about the FTP server.

Machine specs:

Compaq Presario 6000

AMD Athlon XP 2600+ Processor operating at 2.13 GHz

512 MBs RAM

120 GB HD

Floppy, ZIP, DVD, and CD-RW drives

Running Slackware Linux 10

Second box that may be used:

HP Pavilion (the first computer I ever bought, still serving me well)

Pentium 3 733 MHz Not overclocked

384 MBs RAM

43 GB HD (Yes, it's weird, but any OS Iput on here reports 43 GB)

Floppy, ZIP, DVD, and CD-RW drives

Running Slackware Linux 9.1 with all patches installed.

Now, I can easily do a google search and find out about secure FTP servers that are quickly set up, but I don't want to listen to some guy ramble on because he was paid, which is why I'm asking here, as I'm quite sure I'm not the only one who has set up multiple FTP servers before.

PureFTPD, ProFTP, and VSFTP are all what I have used before, and I really liked PureFTPd, and VSFTP, but what do you guys think about this?

Slackware has ProFTPd already, but I'm not looking for something already installed if it's not the best.

I won't listen to someone saying WU-FTP, that's just wrong.

Unless of course you can back up that, heh.

Anyway, what FTP servers have you guys set up and liked?

I'm thinking I will go with PureFTPD, but still, I'd like some feed back.

Usage:

The server will be used to pretty much back up my LAN, and maybe be used to store things for internet users to download. the load might get high, because I have...Ummm, my paid for movies I've downloaded to back up, and on some days the server may be transferng up to 3 GBs a day, and sometimes more. Which is why I like PureFTPd, because I've used that on a SUSE server and gotten 15 GBs across my network in 3 hours without a porblem.

Also, NO ANONYMOUS. All users will have to have an account on the box.I don't want to set up anonymous at all. It's just for me and maybe friends like I said, and I want people to have to log in.