mounting problems

Thread: mounting problems

mounting problems

i'm having trouble mounting my dvd/cd+rw drive in Mandrake 9.1 under the KDE Environment. I go to Konsole (super user mode) and type

mount /mnt/cdrom

then nothing happens. I try to access it to see if it worked... nope. I was wondering if the little lock next to the icon had anything to do with this because in the dialogue area on Konqurer (sp?) says that it is a locked directory. I was just wondering how I could resolve this problem so that i could start using my drive to install new programs.
    thanks.

-=[the]Punisher=-
    \"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.\" - V

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    You need to tell it which device to mount to the mount point and you MUST have a CD/DVD in there. Try this:

mount /dev/dvdrom /mnt/cdrom

OR

mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

er0k
    you probably are using supermount and its causing problems. either switch to autofs and do what msm said as well, or try

Code:
    supermount -i disable
    as root. then do what msm said (this is of course if she didn't fix the problem already)

i had to type 'mount /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom'
    thanks MsM & erOK. the only problem is, now when i go to unmount at the super-user konsole, i type 'unmount /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom' and i get the error that says the there is no such sommand as unmount. WTF? I also tried to right-click and unmount as root but it was unsuccessful. Is there any way to unmount it other than those? Thanks!
    -=[the]Punisher=-
    \"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.\" - V

Banned
    try "umount" not unmount (no "n")

Thanks, the momentary Dyslexia must have kicked in. Kudos to you all!

-=[the]Punisher=-