Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NewBie Help!

NewBie Help!

Hi all,

I have to admit that i am a newbie to programming and i have never really started on programming except for simple macro writing in Excel.

I am thinking of writing a program that can be converted to a .exe file to assist me in my job.

I am running a IT helpdesk and i need to troubleshoot PCs.

While calling customers, i would require certain info like COmputer Name, Ip Address and Mac Address. It is not nice asking users to follow steps, like keying ipconfig/all to get the info.

I want to create a progam that can be displayed on customers' desktops so that upon clicking the program, the info can be displayed in a window or a message box to users.

Can anyone advise me?
    Thanks!

Hmm...

That is pretty damn easy to write.

Hmm...

Though wouldn't it be easier to just have them type in ipconfig?

I mean it's only 8 letters.

Oh well. Give me a sec to toss something together. You wouldn't have a problem using perl would you?

HEhe
    the thing is i know nothing about programming but i am willing to learn.
    throw me some tips and i will try.

Agh... That explains it.

Wouldn't be wise for you to have your guys install interpreters or you getting perl2exe just for this.

Sad thing is, that I suck at batch file programming. Hmm...

If you can wait until tomorrow, I can do a little reading on batch file programming and write up something.

If you care to, do a search on batch file programming. Then write a program using it, and place an icon on there desktops.

(Sorry, I don't use Windows often. Actually none anymore.)

I can do some quick reading. I have some books on it, just don't use it anymore so I have put them away. It will only take me a little while to get together what you need. I did know it at one point.

Just Tell me everything that you want the program to show.

Just Another Geek
    A simple batch file like this should do the trick:
    Code:
    @echo off
    ipconfig /all
    pause
    Nothing fancy but it's clickable
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Hey, I know that much Batch, I was just going to get everything the guy needed from the imput first.

I am a lazy bastard, why type when you don't have to?

Just Another Geek
    Hehehe. I can make it alot fancier....like I said it's simple but it works

uhoh: Let us know if you want/need more info. We'll probably be able to throw something together.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Hi whizkid2300/SirDice,

Apologies for replying so late.

you guys sure sound nice.

I need the following info:

Computer Name
    Ip Address
    Mac Address
    OS version (Would be nice but not important)

Not sure if we also able to obtain any manufacturer's serial number and model

Many thanks in advance!!!

Re: NewBie Help!

Originally posted here by uhoh
    Hi all,

I have to admit that i am a newbie to programming and i have never really started on programming except for simple macro writing in Excel.

I am thinking of writing a program that can be converted to a .exe file to assist me in my job.

I am running a IT helpdesk and i need to troubleshoot PCs.

While calling customers, i would require certain info like COmputer Name, Ip Address and Mac Address. It is not nice asking users to follow steps, like keying ipconfig/all to get the info.

I want to create a progam that can be displayed on customers' desktops so that upon clicking the program, the info can be displayed in a window or a message box to users.

Can anyone advise me?
    Thanks!
    Just a question mate. Why would you need there IP address for what you are doing? Wouldn't you just need there network IP address? You can make this simple program easily with Perl or even Visual Basic or another language.

--{Jellybelly}

Custom User
    lol...just thought of the most stupid way to get the ip address of the computer (not suggesting that anyone actually does this). Create a client that sits on the user's computer and connects to a server on another computer. The server takes the ip address out of the packet info and then sends it back to the client

Would be quite funny if someone actually decided to do that. Sorry for my bad sense of humour :P

ac