Thread: New South American Scam

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar

New South African Scam

For those who are responsible for network security, here is a little heads up for you. I have sanitized this down to public release format but none the less, the message is very clear. We actually had this attempt reported to us 2 days ago from our CTO and now it is circulating as a Govt. advisory.

REPORT: ADVISORY

Recently an individual contacted a Fortune 500 company via email from South America and notified them of a plot to kidnap the CEO's family members. The individual provided vague information relating to the CEO and his/her family; however there was enough personal information within the email to cause a great deal of concern.

The author of the email stated that several individuals tried to recruit him to participate in the kidnapping. The author stated he fled his home to avoid being involved in the plot and wanted to share the information in hopes of warning the intended victims. The author stated he had documentation, photographs, and videotapes that would validate his story of the kidnapping plot. The author wanted to send these items to the victims or his/her company but was having financial difficulties and could not afford to do so. At this point, the victim company wired the author of the email a small dollar amount to cover the cost of shipping the evidence of the plot. After the money was transferred the author did not contact the victim or the company again and none of the items of evidence were ever received.

The author was never fully identified; however the emails were verified as being sent from South America. It is feared that this individual may be contacting other companies or high profile individuals with similar information of a threat.

It is strongly recommended that any company that experiences similar circumstances contact your local FBI Field Office to report any such criminal activity.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

This is not only happening in America (north America) a mate of mine is the chief- exec of an international corp. based in Asia and has reported the same occurances - but thought to be originating in E. Europe.

BTW - the title of your post was ...S. Africa - but in the content of the post you said S. America . Could you clarify on which of these is correct?

Eh, African, American, it's still just a scam. If I might say so, it's pretty lame too.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

some people will stop at nothing to get money ...

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Sorry. South American.

Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

I think that has been going on for some time. I remember a show like 20/20 or similar doing a report on how rampant the kidnapping of exec’s was. I forget the specific country they did the story on. Good post though.
    [glowpurple]The bottom line is the bottom line[/glowpurple]