Thread: Cisco Certifications

Cisco Certifications

I'm currently a CCNA and working for Diebold Inc. in the Telecom and Internet security and support group. I plan to pursue a CCNP and then CCIE. I know there have been a lot of discussions going on about the different quality of Certs. and their worth compared to experience but that also got me thinking of things like the mass of paper MCSE's and the Surge of Novell Certs. What does everyone think of the CCNP and CCIE are their current worth in the job market just another passing thing? Are they really worth as much as I've been told? I know the CCNA is really basic and is one of those "everyones got one big deal" Certs. but is the CCNP the same way? Any opinions on whether they will be worth anything further down the road?...

CCNP is still a paper cert. Yeah...you might need to study your butt off to get it, but hey.....you can remember OSPF hello timer intervals to pass a test and not really know what they mean when you're consoled into a router.

CCIE hasn't been devalued yet that I've seen. The lab is still a killer. Although, now that they've taken token ring out of the routing and switching exam, I'm told it's somewhat easier.

In my area I see two types of want ads.... Junior networkers that ask for a CCNA or Senior jobs that ask for CCIE. Rarely do I see a CCNP listed as a required cert from an employer. It's better than the CCNA to be sure, but it's best used as a validation of knowledge rather than a foundation to try to build a carreer on.

Off topic funny story.....our mail admin was working this weekend and she called me saying the router "blew up" and "was broken" and wanted me to fix it right away.

So I ask her who is with her. She gives me a name. The person that was there is a CCNA studying for her CCNP. I get on the phone with her and talk her through establishing a console session with the router. When she says she's done that, I ask her what she sees. So she starts telling me what she's reading and it doesn't make a lot of sense. So I finally ask her to read the very first word on the far left of the screen. She gives the hostname and all I can say is "Holy crap....you're consoled into the core switch".

So here we have a CCNA on her way to being a CCNP who doesn't know the difference between a switch and a router when it's time to actually attach to one. Sad.

Thanks for the reply I'll keep that in mind... I think the CCNP though it may not be often required will be a good stepping stone and a way of preparing for the CCIE... At least thats my understanding of what you and others have told me... I thought the CCNP course was very heavy into hands on? I assumed it would be like my CCNA course...

Well ccnp is required to get your ccei isnt it?
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

No it is not required ... I know for a fact there are other certs. that lead to CCIE but as to going directly to CCIE I don't think you can but why would you want to? It would make the test hella hard on you

Hey,

No CCNP is not "a must for CCIE".

I agree with thread_killer that there are people who have attained great certifications but they are really not that capable, it all depends how you want to make it.

I worked on CCNA for 1 year (some will laugh) but bet me it gave me great foundations for CCNP , then worked on NP for 1yrs 8 months and then cleared exam, it was wonderful, i saw other CCNPs as well , they didnt new what ip helper-address was ? :-(

If you really want to make a mark, dont think of certification, think of studying and gaining knowledge and experience, if you know the right thing , certification wont be a big deal.

preffered path for ROCk SOLID foundation is CCNA -> CCNP -> CCIE.

some will stay .. read dumps and clear...... .. and u will c the difference in shivering hands and shaking body ...when they touch the router in the live network and a 10000 nodes connected... ...
    you can hide the truth ,.... but u cant erase it.
    regards
    kido.

...when they touch the router in the live network and a 10000 nodes connected...
    Are you kidding? I'm doing that now, how do you think I feel about it! I know the stuff but I don't even have my CCNA yet and am still in highschool!

:-) u make me<grin> seriously your words tell me u r in highschool. :-)

I know you are gud in studying and understanding... but there are somethings that you will learn only after experience.... try doing something you dont know at all to a live router.. u will understand what i say..

My point here is , its your efforts and work that matters not really certifications, i worked and learned first then attatined them.. Certifications is a way to check consistency and your growth ...

Specifically, you should not boast on what i said earlier, when it will come down to designing and deploying network (not 100 nodes but a total hetrogeneous WAN ) u will understand.. that book can guide you .. but u have to learn your self.

Regards
    kido.

in my opinion the ccna is the foundation to pass higher certs and to learn more complex knowledge