Question about removing a Backdoor Trogen

Thread: Question about removing a Backdoor Trogen

Question about removing a Backdoor Trogen

Norton Antivirus says I have a virus called Backdoor. Trogen that it can't clean or quarantine. It is located in C:\WINDOWS\System32\hlppafd.dll . How can I remove it?

BANNED
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

It didn't show up on the Cleaner

BANNED
    You sure it isn't Backdoor.Trojan?
    From: http://securityresponse.symantec.com...or.trojan.html

The following instructions pertain to all current and recent Symantec antivirus products, including the Symantec AntiVirus and Norton AntiVirus product lines.

1. Disable System Restore (Windows Me/XP).
    2. Update the virus definitions.
    3. Restart the computer in Safe mode or VGA mode.
    4. Run a full system scan and delete all the files detected as Backdoor.Trojan.
    5. Reverse the changes made to the Windows registry.
    6. Windows 95/98/Me only: Remove any references to the infected files that have been added to the Win.ini and System.ini files.

For specific details on each of these steps, read the following instructions.
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

This may sound dumb... But did you run the update on The Cleaner before you did the scan ?

I have found that if NAv detects it.. the Cleaner will remove it..more to the point.. The cleaner has (for me) detected and removed Virus and Trojan's before NAV will detect it..

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

if 'clean' failed norton put it in quarentine. look in view>>quarentine and you'll find it. thats why the cleaner cant find it
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”