Thread: Installing Trustix

Installing Trustix

Installing Operating Systems with gore

Part 5: Trustix

Installing Trustix Linux

Introduction:

Trustix Secure Linux is mainly made for server use, but it can be a good OS for anything you want, as it is Linux, so you can do what you want really.

One thing that may throw some people off, is the same with Slackware, there is no GUI during install, or after for that matter. But it's a very stable and good choice for servers.

Begining the installation:

To begin, take your Trustix installation CD, and put it in a CD drive on your server/Computer and reboot.

When the machine starts up, you see a screen that may remind you of Debian and Slackware Linux. It's a text screen with some color welcoming you to Trustix.

You should see a prompt looking like this:

boot:

At this prompt, just hit the Enter key, or wait a few minutes, and it will begin to boot the installation. You can watch the pretty white text fly across your screen and after a minute you see it loading Anaconda.

Trustix uses an installation very similar to RedHat....OK, Exactly like RedHat.

The first screen you see asks you which keyboard to use. It auto selects US, so I'm fine with this setting.

Hit the TAB key once, and press Enter.

the next screen tells you that you can find the installation at the Trustix web page.

Press Enter here.

The next page you go to asks what type of system you want to install. I am not upgrading, as the machine I'm installing on has Windows XP on it right now, so I'm leaving "Install New System" highlighted.

Press TAB and then Enter.

The next section is for partitioning. IF you're installing on a server, you may need specific partitions installed, me personally, I'm just going to allow it to auto partition.

Press Enter here and it will bring you to the next screen asking if you're sure about the partitioning. I'm going to press the Down arrow key once, to highlight "Remove all partitions" and the TAB key twice to highlight "OK" and then press Enter.

the next message to pop up is a warning that tells you how you just told it to remove all partitions. this is in case you wanted to keep any partitons on the box.

Press TAB, and Enter.

It then takes you to the next screen showing you what partitions it is going to make. Press TAB 5 times to highlight "OK" if you're happy with the partitions, and press Enter.

The next screen asks for which boot manager you want to use.

Depending on a few things, choose whatever you want here. Some people may have security settings that require GRUB or LILO, but me, I will select GRUB as I've used it before and had no problems, and I also use LILO sometimes. Choose what you want, and then press TAB until you have "OK" highlighted, and then pres Enter.

After pressing Enter, it asks where to install the boot loader. This is very important, and you should pay attention:

If you have partition management software like Partiton Magic, and use the boot loader that came with it, you should select "First sector of boot partition" or something like that, because otherwise, your MBR and current boot loader will be overwritten.

If Trustix is the only OS you have on the box, or you are setting up GRUB or LILO to do what you want by hand, then select whatever you want.

I'm selecting "Master Boot Record" because I have no other OS on this box, and don't have any other boot manager software. Press TAB until you have "OK" highlighted, and then PRess Enter.

The next screen is for boot configuration. If you don't understand any of this, then just press Enter, and Pray to God that it works. Usually you should be able to leave this alone, so just press TAB two times to highlight the "OK" option, and press Enter.

the next screen asks you if you have any other OSs installed that you need to boot. Note that if you have Linux installed other than Trustix and you use a boot floppy to boot it up (which someone may have) You won't need to do anything here. But if you need another OS added to the Grub or LILO screen, then I suggest you edit this to show that.

Note:

I still refuse to hold your hand while installing an OS to use as a dual boot system with Windows.

Learn to do it yourself, or delete Windows.

So, on this screen, if you're doing like I am, and only installing Trustix, you can safely leave this alone, and press TAB one time and press Enter.

After pressing Enter, you come to the screen asking if you want to install a boot loader password.

If you work for a secure company, I highly recommend you do this as it helpsd with physical security. But remember, even this is not fool proof. Giving your Administrator proper guns and a steel cased room to work in is much better, and can help prevent your company from getting a Social Engineering attack that brings you down.

After you have decided what to do, press TAB until you highlight "OK" and press the Enter key.

Configuring the Network:

The next section if the installation starts to configure your network. If you use DHCP like I do, you want to first press SpaceBar, which will select "Use BootP/DHCP" and then, press TAB two times to highlight "OK". If you have a static IP, then enter it into the field provided along with your netmask.

After you have all information entered that you need to enter, and you have "OK" highlighted, press Enter.

After you press Enter, you need to set the hostname for the machine.

If you're setting this up for a server, you need to enter in the proper hostname, but if you're using this for home and not a server, well, you can put what you want too in this field.

After you have your hostname typed in, press TAB, and then hit Enter.

Setting up the clock:

After pressing Enter, it's time to set up the clock.

Press TAB one time then use the Up and Down Arrow keys to select your time zone. I'm in Michigan, and very close to Detroit, so I usually select it. After you have your time zone highlighted, press the Tab button again and then press Enter.

Creating a Root Password:

After pressing Enter, its time for the Root Password. This should be as hard to guess as possible. Anyone who jas the Root password, can do whatever they want on the system. Try and make it hard for everyone but you, or you may end up with all your Email being printed out and hung up on the walls in the lunch room.

Type in a password, and then press TAB and type it again. Then press TAB, and press the Enter key.

If you have trouble with passwords, one easy way to make a good password that looks like it's already encrypted, but is easy to remember, is to use a song you like as a password.

Now, I don't mean you start typing lyrics into the password area, but say for example you like the song "Die Die my darling" by The Misfits, the best band on Earth. Well, one easy way to make a password would be to type things out about The Misfits:

1977 The Misfits were formed

Die Die Die my Darlin' Don't utter a single word.

TM77dddiemdduasw

Now that looks like a very good password, and is really just the first letter from the lyrics of that song with "TM" which = TheMisfits and 77 which = 1977. Put it together and you have an easy to remember password that looks like "Untouchable-Me's" spelling in his "Teach yourself" tutorial.

Now, after you have a good password, and you have pressed TAB to highligh "Ok" Press Enter.

Adding Users:

After pressing Enter, You can start adding users, which you should do even if you are the only person who will be using the system. That way you don't have every program you use running as root. If you run everything as root and someone exploits a program you are using, they get root.

So add users!

Type in the required information to add a user, and then press TAB until you have "OK" highlighted, and then, go ahead and press the little Enter key on your keyboard.

After you have pressed Enter, you come to a screen which shows you the user you have added. You may add more accounts now, just hit TAB until you have "Add" highlighted, and add more.

after you have figured out what you want, press TAB until you have "OK" highlighted, and press the Enter key on your keyboard.

After you have pressed Enter, you have a few options:

If you have no idea what any of this is on this screen, then don't touch it. If you are sure you need to change some of it for some reason, go ahead. Otherwise, press the TAB key until you have the "OK" option highlighted, and press Enter.

Installing more software:

After you have pressed Enter, you come to a screen for package selection.

Use the Up and the Down arrow keys to select things, and then SpaceBar to select or un-select software.

After you have selected what type of server you want to use the machine for, press the TAB key, and then hit the SpaceBar to look at a few more packages.

After you have pressed SpaceBar, press TAB and then Enter.

after you have pressed Enter, on the next screen, press SpaceBar to open up more packages. Select whatever you'd like here, I'm not going tot ell you what to or what not to use.

One bit of help:

If you're not sure what a package does, press F2 while you have it selected to see what it is.

After you have software you want selected, press the TAB key, and then the Enter key.

After you have pressed Enter, you will see what dependencies you have. Just leave "Install packages to satisfy dependencies" checked and press TAB 3 times and then press Enter.

After you have pressed Enter, you see a screen with a message about where the installation log is at on the system. Press Enter.

After pressing Enter, It formats the File System, and begins installing packages.

Now is a good time to get a coffee, or smoke, which I am going to do.

Boot disk:

After the software has been installed, you come to a screen asking about making a boot disk. If you want to di this, go ahead, but I'm not using this box for very long, and won't need one, so I'm ksipping that section.

I'm going to press TAB once and then Enter, but if you wanto make a boot disk, just select Yes and do so.

Finishing:

After you have pressed Enter, You see the screen saying "Congradulations, you have Trustix installed now".

Press the Enter key.

After pressing Enter, the system starts to reboot, and then pops open your CD-ROM drive with the installation CD in it. Grab the installation CD, and the machine will reboot.

After it reboots, I suggest you learn how to use "SWUP" which is the update tool for Trustix.

I'd say to go to the Trustix home page and learn about it, and learn SWUP as I said before.

You are done.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Excellent post. 80% of the people on this site have never even heard of this flavor so don't be surprised when the thread count is like 3.

Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Well leave it to Gore to bring it to their attention he is after all the O.S master.
    If it is out there he will find it and install it and show us how to install it afterwards.

Originally posted here by DeadAddict
    Well leave it to Gore to bring it to their attention he is after all the O.S master.
    If it is out there he will find it and install it and show us how to install it afterwards.
    Awww! I feel the Love!!!! Actually, that's the Vicodin I just took, smashing your knee rocks! I'm not a MASTER yet....OK I'm a master, but i'm not a GURU yet.

about 2 hours ago I found a couple OSs I've never used. On the other hand though, the only TYPE of OS I haven't used, or can say I'm unsure of, is Mac OS. I've used UNIX, and I know it well, I've used DOS and windows and CP/M, BSD, Linux, I've even taken a shot at some older OSs that use Hex, whihc I'm no mastre at, but I know enough to get me by lol. Mac OS is another type of OS, where Linux and other have taken from UNIX, and DOS and Windows, once you know them you knwo them all, but Mac OS I haven't used.

BANNED
    Ever used this? http://www.menuetos.org/
    You always write some nice tutorials. I'm about to use the slackware one as soon as I finish with the second cd.
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

Originally posted here by muert0
    Ever used this? http://www.menuetos.org/
    You always write some nice tutorials. I'm about to use the slackware one as soon as I finish with the second cd.

Thanks. I'm thinking right now if doing one for : "Installing Windows XP, alongside Fedora Core 2 and (Some other version of Linux, not really sure yet at this time).

Guess it could be fun finally doing one where I go start to finish installing 3 OSs on a computer, but I'm not sure yet.

er0k
    TM77dddiemdduasw

hehe /me whistles and pulls out john the ripper for a little crack

Originally posted here by thehorse13
    Excellent post. 80% of the people on this site have never even heard of this flavor so don't be surprised when the thread count is like 3.

or you could be cool like me and have half your tuts with zero or just 1 response!