smtp server ?

Thread: smtp server ?

smtp server ?

my friend and i are hosting an smtp server on his comptuer to facilitate a vervification email that the message board we are hosting there sends out. i was just wondering why the email that the page sends out always gets to the users, but if one of us tries to use the server to send our own emails, they dont get sent. anybody know?

localhost or 127.0.0.1 can probably relay but you may not have your own host IP allowed to relay.

can you offer more specifics about your mail server?

so, by default it would disallow everthing except localhost? i dont have any information on the server, my friend just searched "free mail server" on google and picked one of them. ill ask him about it tho.

you can't make the rule of thumb that by default your mail server doesn't allow anything out. we need more information -- ex: server type, version number, what OS it is on, how it is configured (default or custom), etc...
    [gloworange]find / -name \"*your_base*\" -exec chown us:us {} \\;[/gloworange] [glowpurple]Trust No One[/glowpurple][shadow] Use Hardened Gentoo [/shadow]
    CATAPULTAM HABEO. NISI PECUNIAM OMNEM MIHI DABIS, AD CAPUT TUUM SAXUM IMMANE MITTAM