Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which distro of linux is most documentated?

which distro of linux is most documentated?

interesting word... documentated... neway, i would have to go with one of the more popular distros that also has enterprise support, so i would say Red Hat
    [gloworange]find / -name \"*your_base*\" -exec chown us:us {} \\;[/gloworange] [glowpurple]Trust No One[/glowpurple][shadow] Use Hardened Gentoo [/shadow]
    CATAPULTAM HABEO. NISI PECUNIAM OMNEM MIHI DABIS, AD CAPUT TUUM SAXUM IMMANE MITTAM

Linux is incredibly well documented .. all major distros are aswell slackware, debian, suse, redhat etc.

try these

www.linux.org
    www.linuxdocs.org
    www.linuxquestions.org

etc etc.. just do a search on google for whatever you need documentation on .. you will find it on pretty much everything

I still would say that redhat, suse and other "enterprise" are better documented since they also have 24/7 tech support etc....

which distro of linux is most documentated?
    By page count, by word count? How many articles written about it? How many books? What? We need more info to fully comprehend what is being asked and to fully help you in your quest for knowledge.

devpon, do you think you can tell use which is by word-count?
    page count?
    articles?
    books?

then please let us know, i'm pretty interested

you may want to have a look at redhat or mandrake,
    from what i gather they are the 2 most popular and easiest to get started with.
    Mandrake is very wizard oriented, good for users wanting to migrate from windows.

also check out www.tldp.org, heaps of doco, a lot of it is redhat themed, it's helped me get out of some tough spots with my linux box that i used to have (before i broke it.... long story)
    Just wait till i get my slappin gloves on.....

mrleachy, I am curious how did you break it?

As for documentation. Redhat hands down. I have RH9 installed right now, and there is documentation for everything. I swear, anything you need to know, there is documentation on your system for it, if you install the documentation packets.

Just out of curiousity Death_Knight, why do you want to know which one is most documented.

I mean, if you are going to choose your distro for documentation, don't choose one IMHO. You can always go on the net and find something about what you need help with.

documentated in the sense, like alot of Help How To for beginners like mounting a drive etc.

mount /mnt/cdrom
    mount /mnt/floppy
    mount /mnt/flash (Though there is other configuration needed for a flash drive. If you need help setting up a thumb drive let me know.)

To be honest, it is better to just search the net and less time comsuming to find stuff for how to do something than it is to check the documentation. Just because a Distro has more doesn't mean it's easier to find something. I personally don't like RH anymore because it is so hard to find what your looking for.

It is much easier to open a book.

If you are looking for books, get Learning Linux, by Orielly. (I swear they are my favorite publisher.)