Thread: Accessing PC's on my Wi-Fi Network.

Question Accessing PC's on my Wi-Fi Network.

Okay here's the setup.

A computer called 'STEVE' is connected to a 2Wire Homeportal. This "Homeportal" is a modem and wi-fi router in one. I have another computer called "BASEMENT" using a 2Wire Wireless USB adapter that connects to the Homeportal and has internet access. It also has access to shared resources (folders/printers/etc) on STEVE, and STEVE has access to the same on BASEMENT. Then there's a laptop using a 2Wire PCMCIA Wi-Fi card that has internet access. This laptop doesn't seem to be on the network.

One more laptop, the one I'm on now is using a D-Link 650+ AirPLUS PCMCIA card, is called THINKPAD. This laptop does have internet access, but cannot access any shared resources on the other 2 PC's. I have used the router to configure the IP distribution, and have placed all the computers in a workgroup called 2WIRE.

I have run the "Home Networking Setup Wizard" on all of them, to assure that they are in the proper workgroup. But when I go to "My Network Places" on THINKPAD, and go to Entire Network, there is nothing there. Also, BASEMENT doesn't show anything, nor does STEVE. Though there are shared resources that I had setup previously. Why does nothing show up under the network? Is there something I'm doing wrong?

All the PC's are XP, except THINKPAD, which is ME.

A_T
    Geek isn't just a four-letter word; it's a six-figure income.

First thing i would check here is if you have firewalls on the two xp computers as the on using me has internet access. Can you ping any of the computers? Are all the computers on dhcp and are they reciving ip addresses? how far apart from the router are the computers on the wireless connection ?
    \"An eye for an eye and the world would be blind\"
    (I dunno who said this)

sniper0wolf0 told me it was Ghandi Thanks

I figured out the problem. This gay Wi-Fi router doesn't allow me too much leeway (sp?). I had to make it so none of the PCs were in DMZ Plus mode...dunno what that is. Then I had to set the channel and restart the router.
    Thanks for the reply though

A_T

it is not that the router doesn't allow dmz mode, it is that the router creates a virtual second firewall between the DMZ and the internal network that makes it so that it is harder to attack the internal network from a compromised DMZ box
    [gloworange]find / -name \"*your_base*\" -exec chown us:us {} \\;[/gloworange] [glowpurple]Trust No One[/glowpurple][shadow] Use Hardened Gentoo [/shadow]
    CATAPULTAM HABEO. NISI PECUNIAM OMNEM MIHI DABIS, AD CAPUT TUUM SAXUM IMMANE MITTAM

what is "DMZ Plus"? cuz I'm only allowed to have one computer as *the* DMZ computer.

goddammit!
    okay so, BASEMENT had WinXP Pro...I have since installed IIS and all that good stuff, and now THINKPAD can't connect to the shared folders, it says that I have to supply a password. I try every possible thing...the only account on BASEMENT's password, another password I often use, just in case i set it and forgot...um, and blank...as in no password. none of them work. why the hell is it doing this?!

Axess -

Please watch your swearing on these boards. You can mark your posts as hidden if you feel you need to heavily swear in a post.

I like how webopedia describes DMZ.

Short for demilitarized zone, a computer or small subnetwork that sits between a trusted internal network, such as a corporate private LAN, and an untrusted external network, such as the public Internet.
    What OS's are on the THINKPAD and STEVE?

How are your IP's setup?

- MilitantEidolon
    Yeah thats right........I said It!

Ultimately everyone will have their own opinion--this is mine.

THINKPAD has WinME, and STEVE is XP Home, though I am unconcerned with STEVE at the moment. i apologize for the swearing, i was tired and pissed.

AxessTerminated

The internal IPs are assigned by my router...the router is 172.16.0.1
    I believe SBC uses DHCP for external IPs