Centrino sucks?

Thread: Centrino sucks?

Centrino sucks?

Iím currently using a centrino laptop.(802.11g) I would like to use its wireless function to connect to our network, but my housemate doesnít think itís a good idea. He asked me to use external wireless card (he uses D-link wireless card). His reason for that is someone will steal our bandwidth if I use my centrino laptop.

I donít understand it at all. I though they were the same (because they use the same standard). I thought its nothing to do with whatever external or internal wireless card we use, it is all about our access point setup.

Sorry for asking stupid question.
    tucc

BANNED
    I think your wireless security would depend more on how you secure your WAP. I'd suggest reading this tutorial to secure your bandwidth.
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=259394
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

Hmmm i dont think you would get attacked but anything is possible just make sure that the computer and network are secure and you shouldnt have nothing to worry about.

er0k
    well your housemate is just worried about war drivers, read up on them and securing your box from them.

You should be able to use either one. I just wouldn't use both at the same time. Just remember to turn off the internal one if you use the card. You don't want one running WEP and the other wide open

The security should be on the AP anyway.

as far as i know there is absolutely no difference between external or internal, just use WEP and access control. you can also set broadcast ssid to off, with these 3 options, it is very hard to get into your network, with or without internal or external cards.. just remember these things...

256 bit setup

we are using D-link DSL-604+ ,which supports up to 256 bit wep setup.

I don't know whether my computer supports that high encryption. I only know my laptop using 802.11g .how can i find out it? and how can i do if my laptop does not support it?

Thank you guys

you are very helpful
    tucc