Cost of Tech Support

Thread: Cost of Tech Support

Cost of Tech Support

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104_2-5287881.html

I wonder how many of these calls are because they ignored or forgot what the were told previously like don't open e-mail attachments. Or were stuff like "How do I cut and paste?"

This was interesting

"The survey also found that 26 percent of employees admit they rely on their company's technical support for help with personal technology devices, further driving up demand for technical support services."

They forgot to mention that these requests usually come at the worst time ie. IT is swamped, lunch or just as you're going out the door to go home.

Do you find that people assume that if it uses electricity IT people must know how to use/fix it? Must be our awesome analytical skills.
    \"You got a mouth like an outboard motor..all the time putt putt putt\" - Foghorn Leghorn

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Do you find that people assume that if it uses electricity IT people must know how to use/fix it?
    Yup. Things like photocopiers, VCR (CCTV), etc. Some of it I was able to pick up or figure out. What is interesting is that they didn't ask the obvious question of: if the employee didn't ask tech support for help on their "personal computer issue", how much would be lost while they fretted and futzed over it? I didn't mind as an admin helping my employees with their personal machines. One good side-effect was that I could control more the issue of viruses and ensure that their systems were up-to-date at home and work.

And before someone says "They should know how to do that". Yes, they should. However, I had one boss who every week would ask me how to unzip and zip up files. It's not her job to be technical. It's her job to pay me. And if helping her meant that I'd get the toys I'd want and the raises I want, heck. Why not?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

AO French Antique News Whore
    I waste time with laptop user specially. I got one who want to install a Ipod on the computer. Windows keep crashing on him so, I have to support him! *sigh*
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    /offtopic

I got one who want to install a Ipod on the computer. Windows keep crashing on him so, I have to support him!
    Was it the iPod that caused the crash or Windows? I've got a 15GB iPod on my WinXP and haven't had any problems (other than slowness due to USB).

/offtopic
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

As the saying goes.... "The ass you kick today may be the one you have to kiss tomorrow". Like you say Ms Mittens. Keep 'em happy so they sign the paychecks. I find "Smile and nod" works well.
    \"You got a mouth like an outboard motor..all the time putt putt putt\" - Foghorn Leghorn