Finding open file shares where users gave rights to Everyone
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Finding open file shares where users gave rights to Everyone

King Tutorial-ankhamun

Finding open file shares where users gave rights to Everyone

Hi all,
    Iím looking for a better way to scan a network for open file shares (SMB, as in Windows file sharing and Samba). At the University where I work a lot of professors and staff know little about computers and when there share out part of their hard drives they end up giving read write access to everyone. I do audits for IT and was looking for a better way to do searches for overly permissive shares. Currently I use Legion to look for all shares in an IP range then check rights by hand. Does anyone know of a tool that lets you do what Legion does, but also reports back the NetBIOs name and the file share rights all in one report? Iíve been working on scripting one but itís not going as well as I would like.

for windows .. I used to use a program called nbtdump.exe (its been ages tho) it will give you all the shares open on a machine .. all the user accounts etc and even check to see if they have a blank password ... or at least it did 4 years ago ... its still a good little proggy .. takes up hardly any room and you run it from a command prompt

Post netscanner

Softperfect Netscanner - I'm not sure where i found this app, but I have it here. It is quite fun, and will scan *any* IP ranges for shares and other such things.

It's a single EXE in a ZIP.
    Geek isn't just a four-letter word; it's a six-figure income.

Not sure of a good one but check www.blackcode.com and you can probably find one that you will like there.

GFI Languard is one of the ones I use in addition to the share scanning it will also check what patches are missing from windows and can push them down to the machines. Has a lot of other great features also.

King Tutorial-ankhamun
    You are right, LANguard is nice. Too bad it's not free, I don't exactly have a buget. The Softperfect Netscanner seems to do some what close to my needs, I just wish it gave as much info about permissions as LANGuard.

IronGeek -

Here is a site that you can most likely find something you need.

http://www.zone-h.org/en/download/category=28/

I hope this helps.

- MilitantEidolon
    Yeah thats right........I said It!

Ultimately everyone will have their own opinion--this is mine.

languard has a trial of 30 days, for the rest it is fully functional, so you could use it at least for 30 days...

King Tutorial-ankhamun
    I know, thats what I have been doing. Maybe I can get IT on campus to spring for it.