removing explorer bar from IE and Windows2000
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: removing explorer bar from IE and Windows2000

removing explorer bar from IE and Windows2000

I am currently trying to lock down our internet explorer at the company I work for.
    I have managed to remove practically every setting that could cause a user to open another window in IE. The problem is... if you goto View and explorer bar, and search, you can do it that way.

I am looking for a reg hack or GPO to remove the View --> Explorer Bar option.

Help Please

BANNED
    http://sillydog.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2677

Googled disable Internet explorer. Is this what you were looking for?
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

no, its not exactly that.. I'm loooking to disable the menu bars.... Explorer Bar...... I have already disabled the File and such... Now I'm looking to disable View Explorer Bar

BANNED
    Did you try what the moderator said at the bottom. Would probably confuse most people and they would use your alternative browser instead.

I have found the best way yet to disable IE. This will allow you to disable Internet Explorer for general browsing, but still have it work for WindowsUpdate.

First open IE, and open the options screen by clicking on 'Tools' at the top of the screen and clicking on 'Options'.,

Click the 'Connections' tab at the top of the new options window that has appeared.

Click the 'LAN Settings' button that is towards the bottom of the options window.

Check the box that says 'Use a proxy server for your LAN'.

In the 'Address' field, enter anything - I put 'fakeproxy'.

Click the 'Advanced' button, then in the 'exceptions' text box enter '*.microsoft.com' and then click OK.

Now IE will only function on pages at Microsoft.com, and WindowsUpdate.

He doesn't want to disable IE though. He wants to configure it so you can't access:

View --> Explorer Bar

However, the rest of IE would maintain it's functionality. In other words, entirely disable the lefthand search window that can be opened.

BANNED
    I only slept three hours last night. Sorry for posting useless crap.

Regal Making Handler
    I think you can do what you want using gpedit.msc>Administrative templates>internet explorer.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

unfortunatly I couldn't find a templete for it..... any other ideas? I have search the registry for anyting I can think of and nothing turns out positive. Please Help

Regal Making Handler
    Not sure if this will help you any but, if you go view>Explorer bar>search. Then customize>auto search settings>when searching and select do not search from the address bar, from the drop down box. This will have the effect of not allowing a new window. However if the user is knowledgeable it would be simple to reverse these changes.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Unfortunatly that is too easy to change. I'm looking for a way to just completly remove it. any ideas?