Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows XP SP2 newbie question!

Windows XP SP2 newbie question!

Hi there ppl, my question is simple ( but i dont know if its stupid :\ ), cause iv been away from the net and all PC related issues for some time, and i whant to know this:

I have windows XP Pro with all SP1 updates ( the windows version here is a copy ), and i would like to know "how" can i have SP2, if i can where can i download it, and if i will have any problems with it..

Forgive me all if this is a dumb question :\
    Owmen

XP SP2--Originally due in late 2003, SP2 was revamped and set on course for a release in the first half of 2004. But Microsoft delayed it until July, then August. Currently, it looks like SP2 could ship around the second week of August.
    Source:
    http://www.winnetmag.com/Windows/Art...326/43326.html

you may have some problems if you are running some type of server because the firewall is enabled by default. also, there have been some program compatibility problems in the beta testing, hopefully all that is worked out now. lastly, you can download the RC-2 version here
    [gloworange]find / -name \"*your_base*\" -exec chown us:us {} \\;[/gloworange] [glowpurple]Trust No One[/glowpurple][shadow] Use Hardened Gentoo [/shadow]
    CATAPULTAM HABEO. NISI PECUNIAM OMNEM MIHI DABIS, AD CAPUT TUUM SAXUM IMMANE MITTAM

Banned
    u can easily download it from www.microsoft.com this is possible only if u have an original XP installed at ur pc but if u dont have one better not try to get it from the site but get it the same way u got the previous xp i.e. a pirated one! i m sorry but thats the only possible way DUDE!

Originally posted here by akshayakrsh
    u can easily download it from www.microsoft.com this is possible only if u have an original XP installed at ur pc but if u dont have one better not try to get it from the site but get it the same way u got the previous xp i.e. a pirated one! i m sorry but thats the only possible way DUDE!
    Egads!

SP2 (much like SP1 and SP1a) contains a list of the most commonly used serials in "pirate" copies of XP. Though the service pack would download it may not install. There are ways to change the serial number - but I'm not instigating this in any way - just pointing it out.

The whole area of denying certain serial numbers from attaining patches is a bit of a gray area (and perhaps left for a seperate thread).

I agree microsoft have every right to protect its investment. However on the flip-side, people running unpatched copies of Windows may be contributing to the spread/traffic of virii and other malicious code. This in turn harms legal versions of Windows / Net traffic / etc etc (yes I am aware people SHOULD patch their machines... but... lol)

Catch 22 anyone?
    # Now if I ever needed inspiration,
    Right about now where I lose my patience,

I agree microsoft have every right to protect its investment. However on the flip-side, people running unpatched copies of Windows may be contributing to the spread/traffic of virii and other malicious code. This in turn harms legal versions of Windows / Net traffic / etc etc (yes I am aware people SHOULD patch their machines... but... lol)

Catch 22 anyone?
    if microsoft would create a good product, like linux, they wouldn't have to worry so much about updates and patches...

let's take netbsd, it's far more safer then windows will ever be, and they managed to do this without having as many resources and money as microsoft!

p.s., i think he has got it by now, this is an OLD thread!

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    if microsoft would create a good product, like linux, they wouldn't have to worry so much about updates and patches...
    Ummm.. ptrace was a horrible issue for linux for about a year. Exploits came out on a near daily basises even after patches had been applied.

let's take netbsd, it's far more safer then windows will ever be, and they managed to do this without having as many resources and money as microsoft!
    netbsd is not a linux last time I checked. That said, if a fool sets up a poor installation of netbsd I'm sure someone will break in.

When it comes down to it, ultimate security is the responsibility of the user. If they are not willing to deal with it and address it with the resources provided, it doesn't matter how many patches you release or how "secure" you're system is believed to be: it will still be compromised.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Certainly - I'm inclined to agree.

Unfortunatly fallability and popularity seem to co-exist in the computing world.

My life was so much easier with a fountain pen.
    # Now if I ever needed inspiration,
    Right about now where I lose my patience,

You are kidding, right? Do you know how many times a year a BSD and Nix kernel will be updated for various security fixes and enhancements, not to mention the 3rd party patches for other programs that interact with the NIX/BSD systems. Don't ever confuse Windows with being the OS with the only/most/worst patches. Because if you do, then you've never read a bug list for any Operating System -ever-.

Normally, I would obliterate you for something like this. Luckily, Ms Mittens handled it. It is never the OS that determains security, it is how well the admin knows the OS he is in.

wow, i think you guys misunderstood... of course it isn't the OS doing the security, but the default settings that are all switched on on windows make it so vulnerable... and i know, netbsd isn't linux, it is a version of unix.. but the result stays the same... with a default windows installation you need to switch everything off what you do NOT use. and with a default *nix installation you need to switch things on if you want to use them.. this alone makes those OS's much safer then windows...

here are all the patches for the latest netbsd.. there are a lot more for windows XP. (and XP is the safest windows (home user) system out there for now).

see the attachment for more info and why i came to hate windows so much... (in a security manner).