Kerry's speech

View Poll Results: Financially how do you feel?

20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Just enough money to make it to next payday.

11 55.00%
  • Moderate.. average home make just enough extra to have some fun with it

5 25.00%
  • living very comfortable

2 10.00%
  • filthy rich, dont know what to do with some of the money so I give it to charity and play a lot of golf

2 10.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kerry's speech

Kerry's speech

Okay I just had the miserable luck of sitting through JK's speech. He was supposed to give specifics as to how he was going to save all of our souls and give free healthcare to everyone and their gerbils, but the only thing he actually succeded in was to remind me time and time again that he fought on the Delta in VietNam. ho hum. He NEVER gave any specifics, and you can't argue with that.

And although he wants to be optimistic and to work with Bush to strengthen America , HE would appoint people to his cabinet that would actually DO thier jobs as opposed to the ones that are in there now.

I so appreciated when he mentioned that HE would never get America involved a war unless there was no other way just like the founding fathers..... wait a minute... the founding fathers didn't HAVE to go to war against the British King, all they had to do was pay their *****ing taxes!!!!

So pray tell me what you think?

P.S. JK did have a chance to win my vote with this speech, he failed miserably. That was even a pathetic attempt at partisan rhetoric.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

I didn't get to see it/hear it. Got a link to an overview of what he said? Or was he enough of a blabberer that he didn't say anything at all?
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--| <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

The jist of the speech was that he would make everything right with the world and pay for everything that anyone has ever promised the American people with the good looks of his running mate John Who?

Anyway, there'll be transcripts of it on the net in a matter of minutes so I'm sure you'll have some bedtime reading if don't want to take that valium you have.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

I was just about to create a thread about the fireworks but this will do just fine!

I actually enjoyed the firework show but that's all it was, fireworks represent cannon fire in america. I'm going to honest here and say I enjoyed the "shock and awe" 100x better. I thought kerry voted against funding for the tomahawk missile? What was the theme "stronger america"?

Stronger America, praise the lord. Kerry can't decide what to do because he isn't sure who's palms to grease yet?
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

BS, EnCE, ACE, Cellebrite 11001001's Avatar
    Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."
    He also had a great line in a speech this morning.

One if by land, two if by sea. And the message was right. Come to think of it, they had better intelligence back then than we do today about what's going on.
    That's Officer 11001001 to you...
    Now you see me | Now you don't
    "Relax, Bender; It was just a dream. There's no such thing as two." ~ Fry
    sometimes my computer goes down on me

Re: Kerry's speech

Originally posted here by KorpDeath
    JK did have a chance to win my vote with this speech, he failed miserably. That was even a pathetic attempt at partisan rhetoric.

Originally posted here by The Grunt
    I didn't get to see it/hear it. Got a link to an overview of what he said? Or was he enough of a blabberer that he didn't say anything at all?
    he said absoutely nothing... it was long, boring, and it took off the shows that i wanted to watch (and i don't have much selection because i only have an antenna and pick up appx 6 channels)

personal note to JK -- you are dumb and an ass, that makes you a dumbass
    [gloworange]find / -name \"*your_base*\" -exec chown us:us {} \\;[/gloworange] [glowpurple]Trust No One[/glowpurple][shadow] Use Hardened Gentoo [/shadow]

im not sorry i turned him off but i would have liked to have heard this live:

DNC CONVENTION DIRECTOR ON-AIR CNN: 'We need all of them coming down. Go balloons- balloons? What's happening balloons? There's not enough coming down! All balloons, what the hell! There's nothing falling! What the f@#k are you guys doing up there? We want more balloons coming down, more balloons. More balloons. More balloons'...

heard world wide

Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Boston, MA
    I only heard half of it. For the part that I heard, it was a pretty good speech. Sometimes he sounded very vague and sometimes he sounded like a car salesman desperate to sell something or he'll get fired. He gave it his best, so lets see what happens. Hopefully Bush learns public speaking and performs better.

Some of you who thought it was utterly pathetic...are you saying that because it really was or just because you're a supporter of Bush?

Nice poll... my alternative is:
    - Great
    - Good
    - Lame
    - Utterly pathetic I want to have sex with Bush

At least my wife wouldn't vote for the last option in my alternative poll (I hope...)

I think there's a hidden footnote in the Constitution that says that all Acceptance Speeches need to contain the following, in this order:

1. A reference to the place where the convention is held, linking it to the US's history:

Bush, 2000

Philadelphia, PA
    Our founders first defined that purpose here in Philadelphia ... Ben Franklin was here. Thomas Jefferson. And, of course, George Washington -- or, as his friends called him, "George W."
    Kerry, 2004

Boston, MA
    Home where our nation's history was written in blood, idealism, and hope.
    2. Facts about family and friends that nobody needs or wants to know

Bush, 2000
    To our daughters, Barbara and Jenna, we love you, we're proud of you, and as you head off to college this fall ... ... Don't stay out too late, and e-mail your old dad once in a while, will you?
    Kerry, 2004

I was born in Colorado, in Fitzsimmons Army Hospital, when my dad was a pilot in World War II. Now, I'm not one to read into things, but guess which wing of the hospital the maternity ward was in? I'm not making this up. I was born in the West Wing!
    3. Thank the other candidates from your party for giving you a hard time in the pre-elections

Bush, 2000
    I am grateful for John McCain and the other candidates who sought this nomination. Their convictions strengthen our party.
    Kerry, 2004
    And standing with us in that fight are those who shared with me the long season of the primary campaign: Carol Moseley Braun, General Wesley Clark, Howard Dean, Dick Gephardt, Bob Graham, Dennis Kucinich, Joe Lieberman and Al Sharpton.
    To all of you, I say thank you for teaching me and testing me – but mostly, we say thank you for standing up for our country and giving us the unity to move America forward.
    4. A KEY-LINE, to be repeated ad nauseum

Bush, 2000
    They had their chance/moment. They have not led. We will.
    Kerry, 2004
    America can do better. And help is on the way.
    5. Some general facts that say it all and don't say anything at all.

6. Some mud-throwing.

7. Fire works!

Bush's speech in 2000 was one of the strongest, best-written I've ever seen. It contained all the same ingredients all acceptance speeches contain, but added some zing... Kerry's speech writers forgot to add that zing... but in essence, they're exactly the same.

Kerry needed more quotes like this one:
    Kerry, 2004
    I am proud that after September 11th all our people rallied to President Bush's call for unity to meet the danger. There were no Democrats. There were no Republicans. There were only Americans. How we wish it had stayed that way.
    That's what America should stand for, in stead of this ridiculous "liberal vs. conservative" bull.

And for those who say that Kerry didn't say anything: he did. He said it all and didn't say anything, just like any other acceptance speech. Here are the facts. If he wins, let's talk again in four years

- Restore trust and credibility to the White House
    - Never mislead us into war. Attorney General who upholds the Constitution.
    - No outsourcing

- Ask hard questions and demand hard evidence
    - Reform the intelligence system
    - Never go to war because we want to, only because we have to
    - Iraq: bring our allies to our side and share the burden, reduce the cost to American taxpayers, and reduce the risk to American soldiers.
    - Rebuild our alliances
    - Add 40,000 active duty troops
    - Double special forces
    - Newest weapons and technology
    - End the backdoor draft of National Guard and reservists
    - Lead a global effort against nuclear proliferation
    - National security begins with homeland security
    - Implement the recommendations of the 9/11 commission

- Not privatize Social Security
    - Not cut benefits
    - Pick your own doctor
    - Medicare will negotiate lower drug prices for seniors
    - Allowing Americans to buy less expensive prescription drugs from other countries

- New incentives to revitalize manufacturing
    - Investments in technology and innovation that will create the good-paying jobs of the future
    - Close tax loopholes that reward companies for shipping jobs overseas
    - Reward companies that create and keep good paying jobs in the US
    - Trade and compete in the world
    - Cut the deficit in half in four years by ending tax giveaways
    - Cut middle class taxes
    - Reduce tax burden on small business
    - Roll back the tax cuts for the wealthiest individuals (over $200,000 a year) to invest in job creation, health care and education
    - Energy plan: invest in new technologies and alternative fuels and the cars of the future

- Smaller class sizes
    - Tax credit to families for each and every year of college

Korp &gt; Did he throw in that part about the Founding Fathers? It's not in the official version of his speech (no mention of Founding Fathers at all), and I didn't see it on TV (for obvious reasons)...

DJScribble &gt; it's of course your own right to think about Kerry what you want, but I don't think he's dumb... an ass, maybe... dumb? Nah...