Cable connection Security

Thread: Cable connection Security

Question Cable connection Security

Hey folks !

I have a cable line internet connection.The same coaxial cable that is used for sending

ordinary TV programmes is used for hooking up to the internet.Now Isn't it possible for any

ordinary TV suscriber to get free access to the internet by just getting an ordinary cheap cable

TV subscribtion and a cable modem and just spoof the MAC address of a legitimate user?????

Is there any possible way of tracking a hacker who has spoofed his MAC

address ???

Re: Cable connection Security

Now Isn't it possible for any ordinary TV suscriber to get free access to the internet by just getting an ordinary cheap cable TV subscribtion and a cable modem and just spoof the MAC address of a legitimate user?????
    yes, its is possible on some providers.
    Is there any possible way of tracking a hacker who has spoofed his MAC address ???
    Sure, there is. And on some countries you can go to jail doing that.

Remember you cant hide yourself from everybody forever.
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

The service is not provided to a MAC address so spoofing a valid mac won't get you access. I can stick ANY cable modem on my cable and get access.

The way cox works is there is a big green box, 3' by 2' somewhere in your neighborhood that acts as an access portal. It then feeds each house and only houses that it knows are paying for access get that access.

Try it and find out....

The reason why i assumed that i'm identified by the MAC address is that there are two types

of services available from my ISP, 24 hours net connection and the night bird (10pm - 8am )

connection.There would be no other means of identification other than the MAC address of

the modem right ?

So you are asking us how you can break the law by getting free Internet access on your cable line? ...at least that seems to be the purpose of your question.

This isn't a "cracker" board!

I can hear the NEG train a'coming down your tracks...

Ric-o, i already have a cable connection and i know antionline is not a cracker board and thats why i posted it here ... Isn't it a security issue ???

Originally posted here by Alterk0de
    The reason why i assumed that i'm identified by the MAC address is that there are two types

of services available from my ISP, 24 hours net connection and the night bird (10pm - 8am )

connection.There would be no other means of identification other than the MAC address of

the modem right ?
    As has been stated over and over...
    The notion of a MAC address really has nothing to do with whether your home will
    have or not have Inet access over your cable connection. Although most use some sort of Ethernet to talk to the cable modem, CMTS (Cable Modem Termination System..I think))is the key term here.
    If your home/office/location is not supposed to have Inet access, I doubt you will get it.

LIke I said give it a try and see what happens...

As i told you, its possible to do that on some providers.
    and in a way easier than mac spoof.
    I.E.:
    Some providers use a auth protocol, where that user/password are sent in clear text. You are in the same segment on cable, you can "sniff" those packets and use other' logon.
    However, it allways cause some cause of disturb on network and eventually ISP will discover and/or hacked guy will complain.
    Some providers simply rip off your cable and end your contract due to TOS violation, BUT
    others go to the cops to get you. And receive the money for you "misusage".
    On the 2nd alternative, it will bad for the "sniffer" guy...
    But cable connection isnst famous for security anyway.....
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

This was an interesting question, i was wondering the same thing.

If you know some people in your neighborhood have a Wireless Internet Connection, you can always get a Wireless NIC Card and connect to their service that way if they don't have good security on it, I know of a bunch of people who do that.