Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AIM and the nasty stuff

middleman's site is down (to my knowledge) for a week or two. And DeadAIM would screw up my regular AIM so I'm debating on either one.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Deadaim was a disaster, I remember past errors with it. Ditch additions to AIM and just get away from the origonal client completely.

http://www.trillian.cc

1. No ads
    2. No spyware
    3. Runs MSN, AIM, ICQ, IRC, and Yahoo all by itself (without extra software), all with a smaller memory footprint than the origonal AIM client by itself
    4. Logs conversations automagically
    5. SecureIM control built into the protocol
    6. skinnable
    7. Free

Is that what you are on now? Because I see you on AIM now pooh

BTW: Trillian sound's good (especially the way you just described it) but I've heard some sorta buggy thing's about it if ya know what I mean. Dunno though, I might check it out who know's.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Trillion cracked passwords

Before any one goes and jumps on Trillian, perhaps you had better do a quick 'AO' search and find this thread: http://www.antionline.com/showthread...trillian+crack
    It just might change your mind a little.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

moxnix: It's reason's such as those (and the security risks) why I said I didn't know if I was going to switch over to Trillian. Like I said, I heard it had a few bug's and whatnot security-wise.
    Space For Rent.. =]

I went through a similar problem a while back, deadaim sucks, aim has tons of ads.

But I found a good program free of charge.
    GAIM
    Many of you might now it from linux distros. Well they made a version for Windows. I've been using it for about 6 months now. It has no ads and is very strait forward.

http://gaim.sourceforge.net/downloads.php

enjoy
    ][ neta1o ][

Before any one goes and jumps on Trillian, perhaps you had better do a quick 'AO' search and find this thread:
    It just might change your mind a little.
    That isn't account passwords, that's local passwords. There is a menu on trillian that allows for user profiles so people can alternate between buddylists and it requires a password and username. This is not meant to prevent people from loading trillian, as the developers have said time and time again. If you want to protect your desktop, lock it.

It isn't meant to be a layer of security, but to help distinguish different users.
    It isn't your AIM, MSN, Yahoo, or ICQ passwords that's exploitable, those are still just as safe as anything else.
    It can still be safely used in a multi-user situation, so long as you don't tell it to remember your account passwords on bootup. If you are the only user, then who cares.

Too much smoke and mirrors without any real research guys. Complaining about the security of something not meant for security makes as much sense as whining that firefox doesn't require you to 'login' to use the browser so other people can't use your saved passwords.

GAIM
    Love it for linux, won't use it for windows. It still won't transfer files efficiently or even at all most of the time in windows, as the protocols are still be written. That, and the memory footprint is huge compared to Trillian. (13-16 megs versus 5 - 6 megs, not counting the gtk2 enviroment ram)

Well, for now I deal with nAIM when on *nix, AIM (regular version) during window's. This will probably be until middleman is up and working again or until I like DeadAIM.
    Space For Rent.. =]