Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! Someone is getting in my acoount!

Unhappy Help! Someone is getting in my acoount!

Someone is logging into my aol account. I have changed my password so many times and it's still happening. What can I do to stop this. It is very concerning. I have Norton. What else can I do?

Call AOL support: 1-800-827-6364

Also, read this from their support online documentation: http://www.aol.com/support/index.adp...ssword&page=03

And then think of a damned good password to change it too. Since I take it you are not a tech person, I won't go into detail on hardcore passwords. But, follow these three rules when making a new password:

1. Include numbers
    2. Unclude lowercase and uppercase letters
    3. make it easy to remember, but following the two above rules. Example (don't use this) 1l0veY0U

Hi, welcome to AO

You'll more than likley find its someone who knows you and maybe even has access to your computer. Family member G/f , B/f, friend, etc etc, as the isn't much use in hijacking an AOL account, other isp acount maybe but not an AOL one.

Do you write your password down anywhere or use obvious ones that people who know you can guess?

Out of intrest how do you know someone else is using it?

Thank you for your posts. I know someone else from another site is getting on my computer because I am consistanlty leaving my aol account on (in my home) and coming back to a box that says my "account has been logged off because someone else has logged on in another location". I have no one who knows my passwords. I do not write them down and I share my home only with my husband and I know it's not him. We are both upset about this. I don't think the person doing this is soley interested in my aol. I believe that they are interested in every thing on my computer. I am not a tech person but love the computer and what it can do. I just wish it could be used for knowledge and not abuse. This site to me is fantastic. I am so happy I found it.

Have you scanned your computer for trojan horses, viruses etc

If you keep changing your password but still someone is logging on as you the only possibilities is that someone is either guessing your password (unlikley unless you use words that mean something to you) or you have something like a trojan horse, key logger installed which is sending info about you to someone else!

I would follow Pooh's advice and call AOL support on the number he gave as they will be able to tell who logged on to your account by the IP address recorded by them. They will take the necessary action from there as in reality its is a machine belonging to them which is being fraudulantly used, not your computer!

Hope it helps!

//edit: Why do you think they are interested in everything on your computer?

Nokia has as an excellent idea. Why not scan your computer for viruses and see if they are getting your password that way? There are links littered around the forums, but this should serve your purpose for now.

1. Go here, and allow the software to install on your computer. It's safe, and it's a very reliable virus scanner that only runs via this website. : http://housecall.antivirus.com

2. Go here, and download the Spybot Search and Destroy software. Install and run it, as this program is too, very safe. Search and Destroy (SD) is a program that will detect spyware, adware and various other nasties that may be infecting your computer. Run it, and while in there look for a feature called "immunize", in which it will adjust certain settings within IE (And thus AOL) to help prevent more nasties from infecting you. http://kujoe.com/freeware/spybotsd13.exe

Someone is logging into my aol account. I have changed my password so many times and it's still happening. What can I do to stop this. It is very concerning. I have Norton. What else can I do?
    AOL allows for multiple screen names but a common mistake for the radio person is to create an account with AOL using their own name, or a derivative, as the "Master Screen Name" and further compounding it by using that screen name publicly. Nearly every single radio host will be a target of some form of harassment, often directed against their screen name. Once that particular account is hacked the abuser will likely destroy it. The "Master Screen Name" allows full administration to your AOL account so your best bet is to create an account with AOL using a meaningless handle. THEN, create an account for public use ... limit the "permissions" for THAT new public account. Have a different password for your public screen name. Now if your public screen name is hacked they can't get control of your overall account. If you have already created an account with AOL and are concerned about the above then contact AOL, explain your position and request that they modify your account.
    You should further protect your AOL account with the following steps ...
    Set your preferences so attached files do not download automatically. For heaven's sake don't download attachments from people you don't know and even if you do know them confirm it. The top way to get a virus is via an attachment from someone you know and trust. They get it and are unaware of the problem, meanwhile the virus goes to work scarfing up addresses and sending itself out again. See also anti-virus software.
    If your addicted to your buddy list then take the time to find out how to modify the security features. You can set it to allow only listed people to be able to contact you. In December 2001 it was found that the latest version of AOL had a security hole in its Instant Messenger service big enough to drive a truck through. Even in previous versions of AOL you will be bothered by annoying and anonymous pop up messages that appear to be innocent chat requests. Keeping your Buddy List and Chat unrestricted will compromise your account in other ways that for security reasons I can't go into here.

I have contacted aol when this first began. This is going on a number of weeks, and they told me there is nothing they can do. They said they cannot give me the ip adress of the person logging in because they don't have it. My lawyer said it can subeonaed. I am in a legal battle with the person I am concerned about, and they have an arsinal of computer savy ( among other things) and what's worse they are dishonest and would do anything and everything to prevail. And they have! I have run virus scans not trojan scans. Am I doing all that you have suggested right now. I really appreciate all of your assistance. A non techie is no match for a troll!

Old Fart
    If I were you I would follow the advice given about checking out YOUR system. On the surface it appears that someone has installed a trojan horse or a KEYLOGGER and compromised your computer which means that your AOL account isn't the only thing at risk and is probably the least of your worries at this point.

Try pressing ctrl-alt-z (or any other letters for that matter) all at once and see if you get a password login screen....if you do, you've been owned.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Don't forget the physical keylogger. Check the wire going from your keyboard along down towards the computer. There should be no units in between the connection. 1 wire with a single plug into the box with nothing in between. Unless its converting usb or something.

http://www.bitdefender.com/scan/licence.php
    http://www.pandasoftware.com/actives..._principal.htm

Another antivirus software http://www.grisoft.com/

I haven't found a stand-alone trojan cleaner yet that doesn't include free trials and adware yet, but theres gotta be one.